pond pump vs hang on tank filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How large of a tank? A pond pump pumps water- its not a filter. If your talking about a very large tank, canisters or a small pond filter (basically the same thing as a canister, just marketed towards pond owners) would work. Depending on the tank size, hob type filter(s) may work as well. Plus theres the consideration of what you plan on stocking as additional filtration may be necessary.

hi jlk! the 55 gallon. a self proclaimed goldfish expert told me I should purchase 2 pond pumps and it will help my fish stay in good health due to circulating the water?

Pond pumps to circulate water on a 55g seems pretty excessive! On a large tank (150+g), I guess one would work. I actually use powerheads and wavemakers for this purpose (keep water circulating). For a 55g goldfish tank, I would opt for either two large hob type filters or decent canister. Depends on your budget! :)

I have an AC 110. That person also told me to replace my sand with natural pea gravel...

No doubt they had some excellent gravel substrates available for you to buy at a premium price as well. You only need to change the substrate if you want. That filter should be just fine to use depending on how heavily stocked your tank is.

Can I ask why he suggested this? I tossed all of mine quite awhile ago after removing a piece from one my guys mouth. I personally would add another hob to the AC with goldies.

Surprisingly, they didn't have their own product for me to purchase. But they said that the sand harbors "bad bacteria" and that it irritates the gills. They also said that sand is not found in the goldfishes natural environment, which gave me a laugh since a goldies natural environment is the fish tank.
I have 3 goldies in a 55. And considering all the issues with the cycle and bio-overload I've been going thru, I'll definitely consider adding another, smaller HOB.

Theres debate whether sand can harbor 'bad bacteria'. Unless you keep a very deep sandbed, this really is not an issue. If it is deep or your just unsure, run a pair of chopsticks or a butter knife through it when you do a water change.

Its a bit difficult to say a goldfish's 'natural' environment. Fancies were created by man and do not exist freely in nature (they would be gone in a heartbeat!) but various species of carp and 'common' goldfish (which are carp as well) actually exist in almost every environment around the world. Fancies were bred from Prussian carp, too. You will be hard pressed to find a fancy enthusiast or breeder that uses gravel. Most breeders are religious about barebottom tanks/tubs/ponds. For aesthetics and plants, I like pfs but keep any tubs bare and my pond only has a few very large rocks to keep the liner from being pushed up. It also makes keeping a goldie tank spotless as debris and waste can not hide and we know what piggies they are! :)

Okay I do have a question,
My fish tank is in an enclosed stand, so I can't purchase another hob filter unless it is under 3 inches in length...
Any suggestions on what kind of filter to get? Preferably something small and easy to maintain (and inexpensive).

Hmm...maybe a small canister? They do make internal filters but I have not seen any that would be a sufficient size for a 55g and they would take up internal tank space. Ebay and craigslist have a lot of good deals and maybe you can find something inexpensively if you do some searching. I honestly can not think of any hob that is under 3inches. Another option would be to add some sponge filters- you don't need anything more than some airline and an airpump to run them but they are not exactly attractive. They do provide lots of additional surface area for bacteria to colonize.

It could be a fairly easy task to make a canister filter, especially if you already have those water pumps. You could make it hold as much media as you want.

It could be a fairly easy task to make a canister filter, especially if you already have those water pumps. You could make it hold as much media as you want.

You would certainly think so. I've read many threads of attempts to do this but many fail due to the lack of cheap "canister" alternatives. Those who are successful, maintenance tends to be a HUGE PIA. If your gonna waste your time building a canister then just build a sump right? Anyway Rena (xp3/xp4) Fluval (406/FX5) and Eheim (classics) make great canisters.

"I wouldn't invest in either of those pumps. They're complicated and don't deliver the necessary action the water needs. Get a real pond pump, and nothing less"

Insists the expert..

"I wouldn't invest in either of those pumps. They're complicated and don't deliver the necessary action the water needs. Get a real pond pump, and nothing less"

Insists the expert..

And is he selling these pumps as well?? We are talking about a 55g tank not a 550g pond, if I am not mistaken.

no she isn't selling them, she referred me to ebay. and it is 55 gallons.

If you want a top knotch pump. Get a Fluval fx5. Its made for that extra dirty tank. I have yet to see a bad review here or on other fish forums about it. Don't listen to a store employee. They are there to make money not happy customers

Smartpond Refurbished DP330 Pond Pump | eBay
33gph

Am I allowed to post a link to the other forum I'm on? I can show you what she is saying.
There's a lot of talk about the CO2 or whatever collecting in a layer on the bottom and how there needs to be a pond pump to move the water and oxygenate. This woman is very persistent that it is done her way, or no way.

Back
Top Bottom