Ponds and Turtle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmanova

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a pond with Koi in Pennsylvania made with a poly liner! A friend of mine has 6" diameter turtle that he kept indoors for 5 years and now wants to give away. Can a turtle survive outside in my pond? Also, can a turtle harm or put a hole in the liner? I use a heater in the winter for gases to escape. I want to ensure the turtle will be safe and we are doing the right thing! Many thanks!

They can kill the koi. I wouldn't think that the claws would pierce threw the thick liner.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a transplant koi (moving him to a different pond soon) and some goldfish in my pond with turtles. The turtles don't mess with the goldfish, they even bred and there are several fry swimming around in there. Granted, most of the turtles are technically land turtles, but there's a large cooter in there as well.

They can, however, I've just been lucky with mine and maybe it helps keeping them well fed. They'll basically eat anything they can catch if the weather is warm and they are eating. Koi are pretty fast (at least when it's warm), but it's still a risk, especially in a small pond.

Back
Top Bottom