Pool Filter Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaulieFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
So right now I have typical gravel in my tank, well I was reading about how cheap and good pool filter sand is. I wanted a more natural look, and I think that would look nice. Also how good is it?

Also how is cleaning it?

PFS is an excellent substrate. I used it in my 55G tank and i tell you.. it is one of the nicest FW substrate that is available to use. IMO.

It's also one of the easiest things to clean lol. Took me two rinses and it was fully cleaned. No cloudiness, no excess material floating in the water, nothing. I would say definitely go for the PFS. You will not be disappointed.

PFS is an excellent substrate. I used it in my 55G tank and i tell you.. it is one of the nicest FW substrate that is available to use. IMO.

It's also one of the easiest things to clean lol. Took me two rinses and it was fully cleaned. No cloudiness, no excess material floating in the water, nothing. I would say definitely go for the PFS. You will not be disappointed.

What about other cleanings like during PWC (ahah just noticed that my intials anyway) and how is it for planted tanks?

The PFS is very fine, so it doesn't have many cracks or crevices that detritus and waste can fall through and never be found, so just using a hose/gravel cleaner to suck up the waste off the top of the sandbed should be sufficient for cleaning the sand during PWC's. Other than that, you don't really need to touch it and it will still stay very clean.

I'm not very sure how good it is for planted tanks because i didn't use it in a planted tank, but i'm sure it would be fine as long as you put those fert tabs or root tabs in there with it. Not sure what those tabs things are because i've never done a planted tank. Maybe someone else knows? Root tabs, fert tabs? Ah idk.. -_-

The PFS is very fine, so it doesn't have many cracks or crevices that detritus and waste can fall through and never be found, so just using a hose/gravel cleaner to suck up the waste off the top of the sandbed should be sufficient for cleaning the sand during PWC's. Other than that, you don't really need to touch it and it will still stay very clean.

I'm not very sure how good it is for planted tanks because i didn't use it in a planted tank, but i'm sure it would be fine as long as you put those fert tabs or root tabs in there with it. Not sure what those tabs things are because i've never done a planted tank. Maybe someone else knows? Root tabs, fert tabs? Ah idk.. -_-

Thanks a bunch :), yeah I would prolly need fert and root tabs :p.

Alright there you go lol, so was i right on those tab things? It's been a while since i've been in the FW section of this site lol.

Alright there you go lol, so was i right on those tab things? It's been a while since i've been in the FW section of this site lol.

I guess! lol, I called Home Depot and they were like.... pool filter sand.. we are out of season so we dont carry it.. Now I need to find somewhere else..

Look for Quickrete Medium Sand. I'm 99% certain it's the same stuff as PFS and I got if for $3 for a 50lb bag at Home Depot.

I'm surprised how many people here are open to changing their substrate. I have gravel and would love to try sand out but it seems like an enormous pain to make that change. Personally, I like gravel enough to not attempt such a huge project and potentially stress the fish out by moving them out of the tank. Good luck! Would love to hear how it goes if you end up making the change.

I'm surprised how many people here are open to changing their substrate. I have gravel and would love to try sand out but it seems like an enormous pain to make that change. Personally, I like gravel enough to not attempt such a huge project and potentially stress the fish out by moving them out of the tank. Good luck! Would love to hear how it goes if you end up making the change.

I love the look of PFS and look forward to when I buy a larger 75+ tank. I'll definitely be going with PFS then. Until then, my tanks will have to suffer with gravel, although it's natural looking. I wonder how many tanks I'll be allowed to have before my wife gets annoyed? :uhoh:

I love the look of PFS and look forward to when I buy a larger 75+ tank. I'll definitely be going with PFS then. Until then, my tanks will have to suffer with gravel, although it's natural looking. I wonder how many tanks I'll be allowed to have before my wife gets annoyed? :uhoh:

I'm at 3 and she's starting to get there. Haha but I think I'm allowed to get one more :)

I have PFS in my tank. I switch to it when I upgraded my tank to a 46g. I've had cloudy water for the past 2 weeks now.. I don't think its because the sand is dirty.. but.. please let us know if your water gets cloudy because I'd love to know. I used the same filter for my tank with the dirty media.

Yep, I rinsed it about 10x the night before and another 2x the day of. I don't think its the sand though. Rookie, I have the post "Cloudy Water" Remember me? :) I still have cloudy water.

Look for Quickrete Medium Sand. I'm 99% certain it's the same stuff as PFS and I got if for $3 for a 50lb bag at Home Depot.

Do you know if that is fine, with a good washing, I wouldn't mind trying it, but i got a lot of fish that I dont want to die :p. Have you had any problems with it?

PFS

I use PFS, in one tank as a test. So far no problems, my concern is that, i know just as in the Marine hobby down deep in that sand there is developing a very toxic area, even though no detritus is getting down there, and i fear that since sand is not thoroughly vaccumed, like gravel, at some point somone is gonna stir that up and lose fish.:(

toxic air bubbles are a bit overrated when it comes to pfs, since the grains are so large,its almost a small grade of gravel.

agreed

I was thinking more along the lines of someone who simply Pythons the very top of the sand, so as not to suck out too much then for some reason down the line that sand gets stirred up by a digging cichlid thats added way after the fact, the toxic waste, thats been hidden and contained for a couple of years now becomes a part of the entire atmosphere in the tank before its is discovered.

Im just a worry wart when it comes to maybe losing a tank full of expensive fish , when the pool filter sand thing has only become popular in the last couple of years maybe. But as i said im using it in a 75 full of hard to obtain North American natives, so we will see.

Back
Top Bottom