Pool sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TechnoFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wanted to know if I could get pool sand for less than $10 because I'm planning on a 55 gallon planted. Maybe play sand? Whats the difference? Does anyone use pool sand for their tanks?

If you go to the right store you can find pool sand in 50 lb bags for $10 each. I have pool filter sand in my 55 and it took a bag and a half ish.

I wanted to know if I could get pool sand for less than $10 because I'm planning on a 55 gallon planted. Maybe play sand? Whats the difference? Does anyone use pool sand for their tanks?

IME pool filter sand is hit and miss. The play sand is a more reliable quality. I have had PFS that was nice and big grains then I had it so powdery it coated everything in the tank and messed up my filter.

IME pool filter sand is hit and miss. The play sand is a more reliable quality. I have had PFS that was nice and big grains then I had it so powdery it coated everything in the tank and messed up my filter.

I would go with pool filter over play sand. As long as you really thoroughly was the pool filter sand then you shouldn't get the particulate matter to ruin everything. You might also check black diamond blasting sand if you like the look of black sand or you can get white silica sand. They come in 50lb bags for $10ish; just be sure to thoroughly wash them.

I would go with pool filter over play sand. As long as you really thoroughly was the pool filter sand then you shouldn't get the particulate matter to ruin everything. You might also check black diamond blasting sand if you like the look of black sand or you can get white silica sand. They come in 50lb bags for $10ish; just be sure to thoroughly wash them.

My first bag of PfS was great. The 2nd not so much...

Every bag of play sand I've ever bought turned out to be 50% mud when I washed it.

looking for a bright whites sand for my 15 gallon aquarium what should I use pool filter sand play sand or some type of store bought sand

looking for a bright whites sand for my 15 gallon aquarium what should I use pool filter sand play sand or some type of store bought sand

Look for snow white play sand. It is very white and it is very clean.

I have to say I went with play sand I washed it, it was a nice rich color and it almost cost me all my plants ! It was so fine it coated everything, I got pool filter sand from ace and it was so much more sturdy, very easy to brush of the leaves when I did touch ups. The moral is ...... Look at the size of the GRAIN you don't want fine sand in your tank omg trust me, 2 months and I'm scared to do touch ups, ugh ! Ill post a pic of two months latr cs week one Pfs. And month 6 pea gravel, but I Wanted sand so I was willing to experiment, I knew the risks, sand that's fine not only coats leaves but kills roots, luckily my new tank explodes still so gas pockets are broken and, I siphon of a bit of sand each water change, I'm happy with Pfs !!

Play sand disaster

Not saying I don't love the tank, but its a vision of months yet not quickly realized, I lost a few plants lucky I didn't loose more. I need less play sand and I'm replacing gravel cap I might top with sand again when established !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I used pfs . It's great ... My Pleco digs it all up into the centre of the tank during the night and I rescape every morning, and the water is crystal clear, if I'd of used play sand I think we might of had a mud bath on our hands every day ...also it's so easy to vac too.. I love pfs in my 55g ... Well it's in all 3 of my tanks :)

I get my pool filter sand from Leslie's pool supply. I think here they charge ~12 a bag for it, but it's been very clean every time I've used it. The grains are also big enough that it doesn't get sucked up so easily into my fluvals.

Prior to using PFS, I tried play sand in my 125g and it was a total disaster. The stuff from Lowe's was incredibly muddy and I literally spent days washing it, and even after my efforts the tank was brown for over a week. Any time the fish would disturb the substrate it would sent up a cloud of dust that took a while to settle. First time I cleaned out the filter on that tank, the canister's bottom 1/5th or so was basically silt.

Ok I think I'll get pool filter sand. $10 is a steal. I don't mind washing it for a good hour or so.

Btw this sand is also for a 20 gallon for my Yellow Bellied Slider

Back
Top Bottom