Poorly Comet, please help :-(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catnicki1978

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a 4 year old 6 inch long Comet who started floating nose down a week ago. A day later he sunk to the bottom on his side and apart from the odd swim or "flip out" hasnt moved much.
We stopped feeding and only fed peas but then our fish have peas every night anyway.
We were given Swim Bladder treatment and told to try Aquarium Salt, then I read to try Epsom Salts so we added 1 tsp per gallon to the tank. In desperation 2 days ago we tried an Epsom Salt Dip at 1 tablespoon per gallon.

After reading the strip tests are rubbish I went out abd got the liquid tests.
Ammonia = 0.25 (got it down to zero yesterday but its back up today)
Nitrite = 0
Ph = 7.6+
Nitrate = 40 (this was 80 when first tested but our tap water tests at 40!)
I have done various water changes most recent being 80% for the last 2 days and 20% today (as advised on another forum).

It is a 120L tank and has been set up for a year BUT, just over a week ago my partner changed ALL the stones in one go (I now know this is not a good idea!)

We have an Eheim Filter but I don't know the number.

We also have a 5 inch goldfish and a 3 inch one, they are both around 10 years old and apart from being low in the tank earlier (looked like they were keeping the Comet company) are showing no signs of any problems at all.

They all usually have flaked food in the morning and peas at night.

I hope I have got all the info down that is required, I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Nicki

I noticed a very long stringy white poo attached to a plant in the tank yesterday, a bit thicker than cotton, the Comet did a very fine stringy poo but I did notice him do a couple of short green poos last night. We had done a 20% water change early evening but he seemed to be 'panting' late last night so at 1am we did an 80% water change and added filter start as we panicked a bit.

He's still laying on the bottom but he was swimming around a bit straight as we did the last water change last night but then went back to laying on the bottom.

How long do we leave him like this before we decide enough is enough?

A friend said they had seen GF like this for weeks before recovering but I don't want to be cruel :-(?

Thanks

Nicki

Sounds a little bit of an improvement? If he is struggling with water flow I would reduce that and keep up water changes.

His eye is now bulging on the side facing upwards, is there anything I can do for this?

Thanks

Nicki

Does he have any signs of an internal infection? Any redness on fins or anything?

Edit - hit send early. You could also put him in a net closer to surface or a smaller tank. This would reduce the water pressure on him and may help.

No signs of any redness on fins or gills at all, just tested the water again, ammonia 0.25, nitrites 0 and nitrates 40ppm (same as tap water).

I was going to do another big water change but just been told be someone who works at an Aquatics not to as it will upset the fish and tke out too much good bacteria?

Really confused as what to do :-(

Thanks

Nicki

Don't know how to help, just hope someone does.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

No signs of any redness on fins or gills at all, just tested the water again, ammonia 0.25, nitrites 0 and nitrates 40ppm (same as tap water).

I was going to do another big water change but just been told be someone who works at an Aquatics not to as it will upset the fish and tke out too much good bacteria?

Really confused as what to do :-(

Thanks

Nicki

It won't take out the bacteria but ime may upset the fish. It all depends what pwc schedule he is used to. Mine are 30% weekly so I don't like to change more than 50%. But I agree frequent pwc's of same size will help him and worth trying.

We have a 4 year old 6 inch long Comet who started floating nose down a week ago. A day later he sunk to the bottom on his side and apart from the odd swim or "flip out" hasnt moved much.
We stopped feeding and only fed peas but then our fish have peas every night anyway.
We were given Swim Bladder treatment and told to try Aquarium Salt, then I read to try Epsom Salts so we added 1 tsp per gallon to the tank. In desperation 2 days ago we tried an Epsom Salt Dip at 1 tablespoon per gallon.

After reading the strip tests are rubbish I went out abd got the liquid tests.
Ammonia = 0.25 (got it down to zero yesterday but its back up today)
Nitrite = 0
Ph = 7.6+
Nitrate = 40 (this was 80 when first tested but our tap water tests at 40!)
I have done various water changes most recent being 80% for the last 2 days and 20% today (as advised on another forum).

It is a 120L tank and has been set up for a year BUT, just over a week ago my partner changed ALL the stones in one go (I now know this is not a good idea!)

We have an Eheim Filter but I don't know the number.

We also have a 5 inch goldfish and a 3 inch one, they are both around 10 years old and apart from being low in the tank earlier (looked like they were keeping the Comet company) are showing no signs of any problems at all.

They all usually have flaked food in the morning and peas at night.

I hope I have got all the info down that is required, I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Nicki

I made the mistake of using aquarium salt to try to help my platy with swim bladder. Turns out epsom salt is what you are supposed to use as it has a laxative-like effect while the other actually makes them retain water.

The green poop could be from the peas. I'm impressed you've only found one poop on a plant. I find poops all over my decor and I keep a decent water change routine.

The people who have responded to you so far are have helped me. Also, I was in a bad situation with my water a while back and I added a bacteria starter which helped a bit too.

Just be careful doing too much to try to help. I've learned from experience that my well-intentioned attempts to help have made things worse and I need to have more patience. I am quick to want to medicate, but a lot of the water experts in this site strongly urge focusing on water quality. I am learning to have faith in that approach.

Before I joined this forum and our Comet became ill I knew next to nothing about fish and have had some great advice and learnt alot! :thanks:

It does seem the best way forward with most things is good water and patience.

I spoke to a friend earlier who has had good success with fish with swim bladder and said from her experience I should give him at least 4 weeks to recover as one of hers who is smaller than mine took 3 weeks to recover!

She has suggested using a liquid that balances the water which will reduce the amount of water changes and the Interpet Swimm Bladder medication, has anyone had any success with this?

Thanks

Nicki

Just to add to what I said earlier, this is a liquid that adds good bacteria to the water, not just balances the water?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Nicki

Just to add to what I said earlier, this is a liquid that adds good bacteria to the water, not just balances the water?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Nicki

If it is adding sludge destroying bacteria (not nitrifying bacteria) I'm all for the idea but I'm wary on adding it where fish are sick or tank temp is high. Just in case the bacteria spread to the fish.

Very worried :-(

Our Comet is hardly moving at all, his fins are clamped too.

I lifted him up to the surface earlier and hand fed him some tiny pieces of flaked fish food which he ate but he feels so floppy and weak :-(

Could he be weak from hunger?

He's had the odd bit of pea and flake over the last week and I have noticed some poos over the last few days.

Feeling so helpless :-(

Nicki

Our Comet is hardly moving at all, his fins are clamped too.

I lifted him up to the surface earlier and hand fed him some tiny pieces of flaked fish food which he ate but he feels so floppy and weak :-(

Could he be weak from hunger?

He's had the odd bit of pea and flake over the last week and I have noticed some poos over the last few days.

Feeling so helpless :-(

Nicki

I'm sorry for your feelings of helplessness. I have been there. I used a liquid bacteria water additive. I think it was quick start or start zyme or something of the sort from petco.

I too was desperate and wanted to do whatever I could.

Did you or can you start an emergency quarantine tank? There are good tips on google of how to make one with household items that have never been washed with soap.

I wish I could be of more help. I think it is positive that he ate a little. At least he is showing an appetite and maybe a strong will to survive. Do you have good filtration? My understanding is goldfish produce a very large amount of waste and if you are working on healing through better water, it may be one thing to consider. Adding another one if possible? An air pump?

People have suggested trying to get a used clipping of established tank filter to kick up the cycling process. Does your friend live nearby or do you have access to a pet store (but keep in mind pet stores are sources of diseases) or reputable local fish store?

Apart from these suggestions, I don't know what else I can contribute to help. :confused:

Is his eye popping out still?

I just read swim bladder can also be caused by bacteria or a birth defect. I don't recall whether you have tried treating for a bacterial infection as opposed to focusing on constipation.

We started treating for constipation initially but then realised it was probably water after reading that changing all the stones in one go was a no no!

We tried one dose of swim bladder treatment but then I read that water changes were whats needed. On last test this morning Ammonia = 0.25, nitrites = 0, ph = 7.8+ ad nitrates 40 (same as tap water)

We have been doing daily water changes between 60 and 90%.

Is hand feeding ok to do?

Thanks

Nicki

We started treating for constipation initially but then realised it was probably water after reading that changing all the stones in one go was a no no!

We tried one dose of swim bladder treatment but then I read that water changes were whats needed. On last test this morning Ammonia = 0.25, nitrites = 0, ph = 7.8+ ad nitrates 40 (same as tap water)

We have been doing daily water changes between 60 and 90%.

Is hand feeding ok to do?

Thanks

Nicki

Absolutely no idea. Make sure your hands are clean and make sure slime coat isn't affected though

Back
Top Bottom