Poorly coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jezlenton

Aquarium Advice Regular
10 days ago I bought my first corals, a mushroom coral and a Daisy polyp.
The Mushroom coral is fine and looking really healthy. The Polyp however is not.
Only 4 or 5 heads ( out of 100+ ) open.
I have tried moving to different locations if the tank after about 5 days.
My Salinity level is good, reading 1.026 & all my other tests are fine.
I have also recently added a Star polyp & Duncan's coral and they are both excellent.
Any suggestions please would be much appreciated.

By any chance did you dip it to see if there was any pests on it?

joy13 said:
By any chance did you dip it to see if there was any pests on it?

Sorry but what do you mean DIP it ?
I'm quite new to this.
Thanks

I am thinking it is a pest of some type there are several pests and dips to help with them. Coral rx is one of the most gentle and effective that I have read about. I have revive (which smells just like pine oil), iodine and flatworm exit. Depending on where I get my corals from will make a difference what I dip them in. I always flatworm exit dip my corals. If it is zoas I will use revive just because it helps knock off any adult nudibranchs, I don't have access to heartworm medication or I would dip all my sps for red bugs before they go in the tank. One person I have gotten corals from actually dip them before bringing them to swaps, he has very high quality stuff and a great price. I do dip his anyway in iodine just to put my mind at ease.

Not to put you down or say your doing something wrong but I keep my salinity at or in between 1024 and 1025. If you don't keep up with topping off your tank than its probably going to hit 1028 to 1030. How old is your tank by the way??

joy13 said:
I am thinking it is a pest of some type there are several pests and dips to help with them. Coral rx is one of the most gentle and effective that I have read about. I have revive (which smells just like pine oil), iodine and flatworm exit. Depending on where I get my corals from will make a difference what I dip them in. I always flatworm exit dip my corals. If it is zoas I will use revive just because it helps knock off any adult nudibranchs, I don't have access to heartworm medication or I would dip all my sps for red bugs before they go in the tank. One person I have gotten corals from actually dip them before bringing them to swaps, he has very high quality stuff and a great price. I do dip his anyway in iodine just to put my mind at ease.

Thanks for that. I have noticed a couple of these nudibranchs. Are they harmful to corals.

Tilo1121 said:
Not to put you down or say your doing something wrong but I keep my salinity at or in between 1024 and 1025. If you don't keep up with topping off your tank than its probably going to hit 1028 to 1030. How old is your tank by the way??

I had to increase my salinity levels slightly as they were running at 1022 but it is now stable at 1025.
My tank is 185 ltr with a 25 ltr sump. And it is now 3 months old.

Back
Top Bottom