Poorly Dori

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

louiserose

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Dori had developed a few white spots on her sides and seems to be hiding away more than usual. I could have sworn that i saw her rubbing herself against the rock and sand earlier too :(

I have spoken to several people about what it could be and keep getting told different things.

So far i've been told it's white spot, then i was told it couldn't possibly be that as marine fish don't catch white spot.

I was then told it could be ichh but then told it can't be as the other fish would be ill too and they're all fine.

Finally i was told that she could be stressed as she was moved last week.

Can anyone help?

I've tried taking a pic but she won't stay still long enough :(

Ich and whitespot are both the same disease. Any fish can catch Ich. There are many different species of the Ichthyophthirius protozoan. The symptoms you describe are very characteristic of ich and you should move the fish to a QT and treat accordingly.

I'm really confused. The pet shop by us had run out of treatment for white spot and we've been waiting for them to get some in. I've just had a look at Dori and all of the white spots have gone!!

Ok just read the articles above and it kind of makes sense now.

A 50 gallon tank (190 liters) is too small for 1 tang, let alone 2 tangs. No matter what you do they will be stressed out and curing them will be very difficult. Usually a stressed fish is not a healthy fish.

You need to treat the fish (all of them) in a QT tank while leaving the display tank clear of fish for 4 - 6 weeks. DO NOT TREAT in the disply tank.

Hyposalinity is in my opinion the best treatment. Once the treatment is completed you need to find a proper home for the tangs.

Back
Top Bottom