Poorly fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dismantled

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I’ve bought a tank for my nieces as they won fish at a fayre. I let the tank cycle and the readings were looking good on tests I took. But my sister has just sent me this photo. Looks like a fungus? b4cab190-b9f1-4338-ac3e-c79ce0ab3c1d.jpg

Hopefully the problem is an abrasion with a fungus attached. If so, no big deal. Clean water and good nutrition will help heal it up. The worst case scenario is Columnaris, a bad bacterial infection. If you determine the problem is Columnaris, antibiotics or euthanization are your choices.

Had the sad news this morning that the fish has ‘gone on holiday’ guessing it didn’t survive the night. Is there chance it will be passed on to the other fish? Planning on removing the fish this evening when I visit and a 10% water change. Plus test the water... although I’ve not had any spikes in anything since the tank fully cycled.

The dead fish needs to be removed asap. If the problem is Columnaris, it can spread rapidly and potentially be a tank killer. I think a 50% WC might help. Keep a close watch on the surviving fish. Remove any fish at the first sign of infection.

Back
Top Bottom