Popcorn Ghost Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimAnnKitz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I tried out 3 ghost just to see if they would live in my tank. They did but two of them jumped out after I put some plants in the tank. I could only find one but I put it back. At some point one of the two remaining shrimp jumped from the tank again....I found it about 4 feet away later. I like the shrimp and decided to buy 9 and try them again. After I did a water change they became spastic and started jumping all over the place. I have them in a Fluval Spec V and they were getting out of the 2" wide hole in the tank lid, past the light and landing a foot or more away in a few cases or on the lid and beside the tank in many cases. I spent about an hour watching them and rescuing but at least 5 of them have died so far after being put back in the tank. What in the world makes these shrimp go nuts? They were fine before the water change and the ammonia was a little high. It was really stressful and I just finally walked away from the tank. I will have to go removed the DB's in a bit, but just wondering if anyone else has had this happen or if anyone may know WHY the turn into popcorn. :eek:

Shrimp are usually very sensitive when it comes to ammonia and nitrites any lil bit will kill em so I'm guessing they tried to escape from the toxic water into somewhere better

Shrimp are usually very sensitive when it comes to ammonia and nitrites any lil bit will kill em so I'm guessing they tried to escape from the toxic water into somewhere better

I know, this was my first thought too, but they were fine prior to the water change. Only started jumping AFTER a 40% change. Immediately after. The nitrite level was 0ppm and the ammonia .25ppm PRIOR to the water change. I can't imagine the water got WORSE after I changed it. I have also tested my tap water and there is 0 ppm ammonia and 0 copper.

All I can think of is that the tap water has something that they dont fancy much tfy putting them in just the tap water+ the water conditioner and see how they react? I'm honestly no expert but that's my best guess

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom