Porc Puffer Tankmates...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I'm upgrading my 110g 4 foot tank to a 6 foot tank. I've had the 110 for a couple years and I've done a mix of things with it. I've always been into the fish more than corals and I've always been a fan of aggressive tanks. I'm thinking if I go with a 125 or a 180 that I might go the aggressive tank route, especially since my very understanding wife, who doesn't blink at the money I spend on this addictive hobby, really loves the porcupine puffers. If I've got a ton of rock, I've got an established fuge, large skimmer, a 50 gallon sump so I'd have about 230g of water capacity.

And I know that, as always, it can kind of go fish by fish. I realize, as a rule, the porc will pick off my inverts, but fish-wise what am I looking at for tankmates? Is it basically stay away from anything small? Like could I go with some Heni's? Tangs? Wrasses? Triggers? Do I just go with the old "if it can fit in it's mouth" rule?

Thanks. I'm just trying to get an idea of what my livestock will be before I make a final decision on tank size.

They are not super aggressive towards other fish...at least not in my experience.

What happened with the seahorses?

I would definitely recommend the 180 gallon if you have to choose between those two sizes, but of course the bigger the better if your budget and space will allow for a tank that size. I have a 6" Spiny Box Puffer which is relatively similar to the Porcupine but is considerably smaller. He's in a 210 gallon and he's actually surprisingly active, spends most of his time swimming back and forth across the tank and to be honest it seems like he needs a bigger tank than even a 210.

As far as tankmates, there are a lot of semi-aggressive fish you can keep them with. They do well with other puffers, large wrasses, large angels, eels, tangs, passive types of triggers, etc.

Hara said:
They are not super aggressive towards other fish...at least not in my experience.

What happened with the seahorses?

Still have them. Love them, but I have to move the tank to the basement due to a kitchen renovation (long story) and since I have the room down there after finishing the basement, I might as well get a 6 foot tank. And a 6 foot tank is way too big for a pair of seahorses (as if a 110 is not). I'm moving my seahorses to either a 55 or a 30 that I have, along with a mandarin that is eating frozen mysis.

So, it's a win win. It'll be much easier to care for the horses in a smaller system as far as feeding, clean-up, etc. And I can finally have a basement sump and a 6 foot tank.

I think I read somewhere a while ago that porcs like to nip at long trailing fins, such as the ones on henis. Anyone have input on that specifically? Would love to get a school of henis.

If it`s not going to have corals then the angels would be good as well as a couple tangs. IMO

Quick follow-up on this. Upon actually measuring the space where the tank is going - we can't fit a 180. But, a 125 should be big enough for a puffer for a while right? Want to make sure before I start the search for a 125...thanks.

Back
Top Bottom