Porcupine Puffers in a 20-30 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a 20-30g tank is way too small for a porc. 100+ is more like. if you're looking for a puffer in a smaller tank, get a green spotted (brackish to marine) or a valentini (full marine). they could both do well for their enitre lives in a 30g

if you want a small puffer go for the tobies or sharpnose puffer the maximum lenght on any of them is 5.3" and that one is crowned or threebarred. her are some names of the tobies whitespotted,valentini or blacksaddled,ambon,bennett's,fingerprint or blue spot,sharpnose or atlantic,ocellated or solander's or spotted toby. they are neat little puffers. hope this helps :D

I saw a porcupine puff in the LFS a few weeks ago that was well over a foot long!!

The one at my LFS is almost a foot and a half long, if not longer.

He is so kyooot to, You can tell he so very desperately wants to get out of that tank..

He has sores over his eyes and on his lips from rubbing against the tank walls all the time, its a large tank.. he just rubs ag ainst the walls :(

I started a 29 gal tank in college and my first big fish was a porcupine puffer. He was little at first bit did grew to be pretty big. He was hearty and had an awesome personality. I had him for about 2 years in the 29 gal and moved him to a 38 gal when I graduated. We did have other fish in the tank at different times. Triggers, damsels and clowns. I had trouble keeping yellow tangs alive but the LFS never said a word about what was in the tank :(

Anyway, my puffer did great in the small tank. I did do a lot of water changes in college since I was more anal about the water quality back then. I lost him when we had a power outage over a vacation :(

I got a dog face puffer that is in the same 38 gal tank and has been in there for about 5 years and has lasted through 3 moves. Right now we only have a percula and 2 snails in the tank with him. We normally don't have more than 3-4 fish total in the tank but we lost interest for a bit after have kids. I think if water changes were more frequent, I would be able to keep more.

Am I crazy? We are currently looking for a 75 gal and I want another porcupine puffer!

Back
Top Bottom