POSITIONING POWERHEAD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brat213

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55gal. sw tank with a few corals, just recentally I bought a 528gph powerhead (bodyguard2200, I had never heard of the brand, But came with the 2 quick filters and a 360 rotater, at a good price.) It is bigger than I had hoped but works well. If I put the rotater on it , it reaches clear across about 1 1/2 inches from the front of the tank, awful big so I took it off and mounted the ph to the back left corner, shooting towards the front.
What I need to know is how should I aim the current, bouncing off the front glass, or should I angle it across the length of the tank to the opposite corner? Or any other suggestions? I also have a prism skimmer and a aquaclear 300 running on the tank. So with the Ph I should be up to my 10x water filtration.
Can PH's help lower nitrates in the tank?
Thanks for any info. :)

Can powerheads help lower nitrates in a tank?...

I dont think so...

How to position the PH.

Well that depends on your tank. What you want is to try to provide current to areas of your tank that might be lacking in water flow.

I personally have my plumbing set to the current is from the back corners to the front middle. The flow is just a few inches below the surface so I get surface movement as well as good overall water current.

Speedy reply! THanks!
So It was just the water change,LOL. Going to do another tomorrow nitrates still about 10. But everything else is fine.
Would carbon help remove nitrates?

SO maybe I should try to face my PH more towards the front middle of the tank. My only concern is can I have to much current? Do YOu think 528gph from one ph is too much on a 55?
THanks again!

I will answer your question about current with a description of my own system.

I have an 80 gal tank with 1200GPH flow rate in it. :)

Thus about 15GPH flow.

can you have to much flow in your tank? Well I doubt it. Have you ever been snorkling? If so you will know that there are areas of the reef that have very strong currents. Its almost amazing how you could be swimming along and go from warm 80F water to water that feels much cooler then back into warm water. The cool water is usualy current comming in from the deeper areas of the ocean and for some reason its contained to a narrow band of water.

It is very hard to estimate the acutall amount of 'natural' flow in a real reef. The 10X amount is just a good rule of thumb to use.

Some corals like very high flow where as other corals like lower flow. The only way you could have to much flow in my option would be if you had a low flow coral in a high flow enviorment.

Well, I'm glad to hear that! I kindda think the tank seems happier with the extra current, but not sure it has only been a couple days.
I have never been snorkling closest, I've been to saltwater is in my own home. Well went to florida as a child once. :) But I will see the ocean again someday. Till then I'm trying to create my own little replica,lol.
Thank you, I was so glad to check back and see a reply so soon what a great forum!!

Back
Top Bottom