"Possible" 29G Bowfront FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeperOfFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I originally planned on doing a ten gallon nano but I want more options for fish. So I hopped on craigslist and found 29G Bowfront for 20$. This seems like a good deal and I really want it for SW tank it all depends on if the guy still has stand my mom allows me to buy it lol:) So what fish could I put in here? Will it be necessary for me to have a sump and overflow for this? Thanks in advance for advice and help:)

I don't think that you will need a sump or overflow but I may be wrong so I'll wait for the salties to answer that. For fish you could do a goby, clownfish pair, wrassels, jawfish, and a lot more if you're not going to do a 10 gallon because that's a lot more space:)

AquaKai said:
I don't think that you will need a sump or overflow but I may be wrong so I'll wait for the salties to answer that. For fish you could do a goby, clownfish pair, wrassels, jawfish, and a lot more if you're not going to do a 10 gallon because that's a lot more space:)

Ok thanks though:) and yay about the fish:)

If you have space and have the time to make one then you should definitely have a sump/refugium. Makes everything easier.

slitherbomb said:
If you have space and have the time to make one then you should definitely have a sump/refugium. Makes everything easier.

I have time but not space

I originally planned on doing a ten gallon nano but I want more options for fish. So I hopped on craigslist and found 29G Bowfront for 20$. This seems like a good deal and I really want it for SW tank it all depends on if the guy still has stand my mom allows me to buy it lol:) So what fish could I put in here? Will it be necessary for me to have a sump and overflow for this? Thanks in advance for advice and help:)
You don't have to have a sump, but it helps with hiding a lot of the equipment (Especially the Protein Skimmer). You could do Clowns (Like a pair of Ocellaris), Firefish, or a watchman goby (I know there are more, but those are my favorites)

slitherbomb said:
How small? For a 29g you could have a 10 or 15g tank as the sump.

It doesn't have a big door and there's not enough room to fit a 10 gallon tank through it.....

Crypto said:
You don't have to have a sump, but it helps with hiding a lot of the equipment (Especially the Protein Skimmer). You could do Clowns (Like a pair of Ocellaris), Firefish, or a watchman goby (I know there are more, but those are my favorites)

I will definitely get a pair of those clowns not sure about which type of goby I might get though..

Wikipedia said:
A protein skimmer or foam fractionator is a device used mostly in saltwater aquaria to remove organic compounds from the water before they break down into nitrogenous waste. Protein skimming is the only form of aquarium filtration that physically removes organic compounds before they begin to decompose, lightening the load on the biological filter and improving the water's redox potential. Although the process of foam fractionation is commonly known for removal of waste from aquaria, it is, in fact, a rapidly developing chemical process used in the large-scale removal of contaminants from wastewater streams and the enrichment of solutions of biomolecules.

Link: Protein skimmer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Explains it all ^^^

I would say so or you would be basically doing a water change everyday. It's also kinda hard to keep a SW without one. Don't buy the Hang on back ones, they are horrible

It is very possible to do sw tanks without a skimmer, and there's actually people on this site that can actually piece together a sw tank soo well that a skimmer isn't needed. If you go with 2-3 lbs of live rock and 2 decent ph, and perhaps a dsb, you won't need a skimmer. As previously mentioned skimmers actually physically remove waste, that means the waste removed doesn't even have a chance to break down into ammonia. But for a 29 bowfront you can get by without one, if you want to keep some advanced coral you may want a skimmer.....helps immensely

That sounds better because I don't think I can afford a skimmer....also what is a dsb? And what would be a decent pH? My water is always at 7.6

Back
Top Bottom