(Possible) Final Stocking List!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

becrac16

Aquarium Advice Activist
Woo!

After much research I think I am set in my stocking list for my planted 55 gal. If anyone has any advice or tips for the tank that would be much appreciated!
(The underlined ones are the fish I have currently)

1x albino bristlenose pleco (2inches)
1x striped raphael catfish (2-3 inches)
6x rummynose tetras
3x sterbai corys
1x angelfish
1x (or more) bolivian ram
1x (or more) keyhole cichlid

I realize that I could do pairs of the rams and keyholes, but aqadvisor says my filtration is maxed out and plus I'm not interested in breeding.

Anyway, advice and opinions are welcome!

I would get the pair aqadvisor is very resorcsful if you put another filter in ther than you could put pairs in there and why not? but other than that good stocking list

I actually like that stocking for a 55. :)

Avoiding pairs is probably good. All three cichlids listed get pretty aggressive when they spawn.

I wouldn't mind having more, but as I'm a college kid I would like to keep the cost down and don't really have an extra 60 or so bucks to get another filter. And I'm not sure how much the keyhole and rams are going to cost.

Oh and maybe add to that list a school of glass catfish

In a 55G you've got quite a bit of room to play, I'd recommend more than 6 rummies, they look great in a group and the more the better, so I'd say at least 12!

I did have more at one point, I had 10 but they didn't fare well with a bout of fin rot (either from them or some panda corys, either way they were from the same store) and vacation. I like them, but I don't really like that they stay close to the bottom of the tank.

I did have more at one point, I had 10 but they didn't fare well with a bout of fin rot (either from them or some panda corys, either way they were from the same store) and vacation. I like them, but I don't really like that they stay close to the bottom of the tank.

Yeah, they do that, as a group they shoal around ornaments etc. I had 8 rummies and loved them but they all died from a bout of Ich :(

Nice stocking list! I think you might like the Rummies better if you doubled them. They are some of the best schoolers I've seen but they are more timid the less you have. 12 would look great! I think you are better off without pairs of cichlids.

You could also add another school that hangs out near the top or middle area. If I had to guess I'd say the glass cats are mid to bottom schooling fish.

I think glass catfish do hang out on the bottom. I would like to add a school of middle level fish but I'm not sure exactly how many more fish I could fit in there. Sometimes I see 55 gal stocking lists which seem so big to me, I guess I'm just not well versed enough. Aqadvisor says my tank is only stocked at like 85% but my filtration is at 100%. Does that change with the addition of plants?

I'm so ready to get more fish in there! Unfortunately though I have an ammonia issue that won't go away! Its hovering at .25... grr!

I think glass catfish do hang out on the bottom. I would like to add a school of middle level fish but I'm not sure exactly how many more fish I could fit in there. Sometimes I see 55 gal stocking lists which seem so big to me, I guess I'm just not well versed enough. Aqadvisor says my tank is only stocked at like 85% but my filtration is at 100%. Does that change with the addition of plants?

I'm so ready to get more fish in there! Unfortunately though I have an ammonia issue that won't go away! Its hovering at .25... grr!

Whew! Ammonia is out the door!

Just a question, how long does it take for a cycle to be completed? Unfortunately I don't have a testing kit for nitrites, only ammonia and nitrates. My ammonia is at 0 and my nitrates are pulling in 20. Just wondering if I could go ahead and get some new fish tomorrow or if people think my nitrite levels (whatever those may be) might be dangerous.

Thanks for all your help!

I got an angelfish yesterday and he's so cute! Luckily he survived through the night and is doing great. I also went today and got 3 glass catfish and 1 upside-down catfish, they're acclimating now. But the lady at the fish store totally threw me off with some things she said, and I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on these things.
I'm just going to list the things she said, and give none of my own commentary because obviously I thought these things were wrong.

1. Any cichlid besides the angelfish will kill my other fish
2. cichlids need a higher pH than what my community needs
3. Ammonia skyrockets whenever new fish are added

??? Are any of these correct?

Answers

I don't know about the cichlids killing other fish

As long as you keep your ph stable, and in a decent range, all fish will adapt properly, the only risk is at the introduction to your tank if the LFS have a way different pH versus your tank.

If your tank is properly cycled, and you add fish little by little, the good bacteria should be able to process the ammonia, what she said is true for a no cycled tank.

My two cents

If your tank is properly cycled, and you add fish little by little, the good bacteria should be able to process the ammonia, what she said is true for a no cycled tank.

That's what I though. Maybe she just pegged me for someone who didn't know as much. But she also made mention of an 'ammonia blocker', which makes me think maybe she isn't knowledgeable, either. Oh well!

I think I might take these glass fish back and actually buy more rummynoses. The glass fish chase my rummies! And I like them too much for that :)

But yeah, I think I will for sure go with the bolivian ram! I would like a keyhole too but I want to make sure they'll do ok in my tank!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom