Possible fungus on my tetras, help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilym

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Folks,

Pretty new to the forum here, but regardless I need help!

I just noticed tonight that two of my neon tetras are not looking so hot. They are both just hanging out in the bottom of the tank and have what look to be puffy white "bubbles" on them. They didn't come up to eat at feeding time. Also, my big black molly hasn't been acting quite right, just hanging out in the top corner instead of swimming around. The other three fish, a gold panda molly, a honey dwarf Gourami, and a Otto all look and are acting fine.

How do I get rid of this? I do have some ghost shrimp and a pretty large colony of small snails (haven't a clue what they are, they hitched a ride in on some plants I purchased last year, but they are awesome little cleaners). I'm ok if I loose the ghost shrimp, but I really want to keep the snails.

Quick run-down on my tank:
20 gallon heavily planted freshwater that has been well established for over a year, I dose daily with a very small amount of flourish excel. 20-30% H2O changes once a week, filter media cleaned out every other week (just bio, foam and floss, no carbon). Seachem prime used for changes.

I'll be honest I don't know what the water parameters are at the moment (yes, shame on me). I have a full on testing kit, I've just been lazy to break it out and with work, college and a toddler it's not been a priority lately... after cycling when I first started the tank the parameters stayed steady for a good 6+ months so I just lost motivation to keep it up. :oops:

I have lost two fish in the past 3 months or so. It was an Otto and then a Tetra, I found the tetra within a day and removed it. The Otto though I couldn't find for a good week as it died way in the back under a bunch of foliage wedged against the driftwood I have in the tank.

So, what is the best way to get these fishies better and keep my other fish healthy?

Back
Top Bottom