Possible Ich found on clown loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac G

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 125 gallon cycled for 6 months now. Ph 8.2, Amm 0, No2 0, No3 30. 7 clown loaches, 7 platys and growing, 6 candycane tetras, 3 cardinal tetras, 6 danios, 2 plecos, 4 dwarf gouarmis, fluctuating pond snail population that gets thinned out by the loaches. Planted tank. I noticed one of my clown loaches with 6 white spots. No sign of distress or itchiness. No other fish have the spots. I'm assuming it's the beginning stages of ich and I'm increasing the tank temp slowly to 86. Should I just use the higher temp as my cure or should I add salt, meds ? I know the loaches are sensitive and I'm hesitant to add anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah you should treat it with aquarium salt (unless you have fish like corydoras that don't tolerate salt). If you have salt intolerant fish, you should get ich guard or a medicine like that. The spots are just the later phase of ich so it is probably the case that all your fish have ich... I belive PimaFix works because it kills parasites.. Raise the temperature by 2-5 degrees to speed the life process of the ich as you can only kill them when they are free swimming.

The process is rather long so this article should help.

I healed my tank recently through heated method I lost the two fish that introduced it to my tank but I wasn't betting on their chances. Everyone else was cured with No salt just heat.

If you have plants that will tolerate slightly brakish water, add 1 tsp of salt per gallon of water and raise the temp to 86-89 degees if you fish are able to tolerate. At 86 degrees ich stops reproducing, and at 89 degrees it is killed off unless you have a heat resistant strain like those found in Florida. Treatment usually needs to be around 10 days to be safe. You can move salt intolerant plants to a quarantine tank for 10 days by themselves during the treatment until the ich dies off naturally that may be attached to them.

Clown Loaches don't like salt. I use the Waterlife products, they are very good for a Loaches and scaleless fish.

Sent from anteatergoanna's burrow

With Loaches, do not use salt or meds. Use the heat method as described above. 86 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 weeks. Clown Loaches are very sensitive to water parameters.

Thanks all !! I'm going to go the heat method first. My plants are close to 2' tall and thick. Relocating them so as to use salt would be a nightmare. I raised the temp from 78 to 86 in 8 hours. No I'll effects. Plenty of water movement. Sounds like I have a waterfall.

Back
Top Bottom