Possible ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think my newly acquired keyhole has ich. He has tiny specks smaller than a salt grain only on his fins. I believe he only has 3 or 4. Could it be part of its fins/body? I have a betta who has a white speck on his pectoral fin and its been there since i've got him and hes as healthy as can be.

I cranked the heat to 82-84F and before bed i'm going to turn the heat up to 86F. I heard that at 86F+ the ich will die. Also at this temperature will my fish and plants be ok?

I know nothing about cichlids, so I'm not certain that the heat and aquarium salt treatment is safe for them. However that's what you're missing if you're turning up the heat, you'd add aquarium salt to shorten the incubation of the ich in the fish so you can kill them when they come out into the tank and are free swimming. I've never had to treat ich myself (knock on wood) so I don't know the details on how much salt to use, or even if this method is safe for cichlids. Google may be your fastest friend on a Friday night.

I'll be picking up aquarium salt tomorrow ASAP. I just want this little guy to live I can't imagine losing whole stock.

I'm going to say it again, do some serious research, hit the cichlid forum and ask if salt is even safe for those guys, I really don't know for certain, nor do I know how much to use. Google and the cichlid forum will be a much better source of information than I. Please be careful, I don't want my incomplete answer to do in your fish.

I will I'm going to do everything I can to help the poor fish.

I've done a little reading and the only fish that seem to not tolerate salt as much are the cories. They have been noted to be ok in a 1 tablespoon per 5 gallon ratio.

Back
Top Bottom