Possible itch during cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rpvance

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started my first tank, committing to a fish in cycle. I am on day 7 and have been monitoring ammonia multiple times daily and completing water changes as needed.

I have been observing my fish closely and for the first time noticed small white bubble/salt granule spots on the fins of two of my tetras. Itch right? I also have a platinum gourami which seems to be trying to rub against the glass and thermometer but haven't noticed spots.

What product should I use to cure this? Will it kill all the bacteria I have been trying to establish in my tank?

Thanks for your help!

Increase the temperature slowly (over a day or two) up to 86-88F. Increase aeration (the warmer the water the less oxygen). You can add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt to every 5g of tank water. Add it slowly and pre dissolved in tank water. What fish do you have? Some are salt sensitive. Treat for 2 weeks or more if the ich is still present.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

I have 3 neon tetras, one is very small. The two bigger ones have the visible spots. Around 5 spots on one fish (3 relatively larger ones), and 1 spot on the other fish. All spots located on their fins only it looks like. The only other fish I have is a gourami.

My fish will tolerate 86 degrees (done slowly)?

Yes :). If you wish to add salt I'd recommend half a dose because if the tetras (1 tablespoon per 10g).
Best to nip it in the bud now before it gets out of control. The ich will get worse before it gets better (in the next 2-6 days) but that is normal.

You have been a great help to me so far. Thank you. Aeration shouldnt be a problem, I lowered the water level a bit so the filter flow creates more, and have two airstones going now. Current temp is 78 so Ill work it up from there and add aquarium salt when I get to the store tomorrow.

So, slowly work in the salt with every water change? And continue to add the salt with every water change for the next 7-10 right?

Rpvance said:
You have been a great help to me so far. Thank you. Aeration shouldnt be a problem, I lowered the water level a bit so the filter flow creates more, and have two airstones going now. Current temp is 78 so Ill work it up from there and add aquarium salt when I get to the store tomorrow.

So, slowly work in the salt with every water change? And continue to add the salt with every water change for the next 7-10 right?

Glad to help :)
What I do is dissolve the entire dose in a container of tank water then everytime I walk past the tank (over 1-2 days) I pour a little but in. Idk how everyone else does it though. I you do a water change you need to replace what has been taken out. So if you have a 10g tank and it has a full dose of salt, which is 2 tablespoons, and you do a 50% water change you need to add back in 1 tablespoon.

Back
Top Bottom