Possible move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10gal_nano

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone, I have a 10 gallon nano reef and I wanted an upgrade. My friend knows someone that doesn't want their tank anymore. It's a 90(I think) gallon reef tank with three fish and nearly no coral. How could I go about moving this? It's a less than half hour ride by the way.

Get a few rubbermaid storage bins from walmart. Put all the rock from the 90 in those and as much of the water as you can take. Discard the sand bed and either add new sand or leave it bare bottom. Set up the tank at your house and put everything back in. This should all be done in one day. I would have a large water change made up just in case you need it.

I would test the water for a few days to make sure you don't get any spike. If everything is ok, put the contents of your tank in and your done.

Ok. But what should I do with the fish that are already in the tank?

If you want them, bring them along in a separate container...if not, catch them and drop them off at the LFS for credit.

Ok. Another question. How would I move the refugium underneath. Would there be pipes to cut or would it be flex hoses that could be easily moved?

it would entirely depend on the set up. You should be asking the owner of this system that question. Meanwhile, I would be careful transporting that if it has an established sand or sand/mud bed in it, for the same reason I would discard the dt's sand bed- it may stir up the bed and cause a nutrient spike during transport.

Back
Top Bottom