Possible? -New Tank Inhabitants Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pacifico

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello. Seeing how my roommates and I are bored and gushing with free time, we've decided to build a DIY aquarium/hood/stand. Right now, it looks like it'll be 125 gallons... However, this may change based on a few of your opinions.

I love Cichlids--they're beautiful, relaxing to watch, and full of personality... I hate their aggression (as I've seen my Midas kill off my Green Terror, numerous Convicts, a Texas... Even a nice Pleco :-(). So, having said that, I'm interested in a Ram tank.

Now, here's where you all come in: helping me decide which of the following would be compatable with the Rams. How about: 5 Clown Loaches, 3 Bamboo Shrimp, 2 Violet Gobies, 4 German Rams, 2 Balloon Rams? Would the Bamboo shrimp be safe in such an environment? Undoubtedly, I may look into adding a couple of Angels and Gouramis. What do you all think?

Oh, forgot to mention a couple Plecos... The type is undecided right now, but I'm slightly favoring a Bristlenose and a Royal.

I don't know much about cichlids but the violet goby will need a brackish enviroment to thrive. Good luck with your tank.

I don't see any major problems other than the violet gobies, they won't do well in freshwater and feeding can sometime be problematic.

I love clown loaches, but they get big. You might want to go with yoyo loaches instead. The rams and loaches stay near the bottom, angels would be good at mid water. A school of tetras would be nice. All of these fish like soft water. Will look foreward to seeing pics when complete.

Thanks for all the advice! I actually forgot that Violets were brackish, so thanks for refreshing my memory. Regarding what you said about the Clowns: I've owned several before, and they've always grown relatively slow--they should be fine (assuming I get them at around 2-3") for several years I would imagine; is this accurate?

And you guys don't think the loaches would eat the Bamboos? Thanks again!

I don't see any problems with small loaches and bamboo shrimps, but my bolivian rams tore my bamboo shrimp up within a week of the bolivians being added to the same tank.

If you want the rams to breed don't get any loaches...they will be the first one to eat the eggs and there are no rams tough enough to fend off loaches.

If you are putting in clown loaches you probably want the bigger bolivian rams. I would be nervous about having the tiny German rams in with such large fish.

You shouldn't be discouraged from having a cichlid tank because of their aggressiveness. As you can see from below we have a 55 gal Cichlid tank with the exception to the eels and pleco. They are gorgeous fish and their personalities are entertaining. Most of ours will come to the top and eat a blood worm from my hand. When we talk into the house they automatically swim over to the side of the tank by us and will follow us as we walk by. The thing about cichlid tanks is you can not mix anything else in with them (non-cichlid's). AND, I just learned this one today, try to add as many fish as possible at once when you are setting up a cichlid tank. It will make your fish less territorial and they are less likely to pick on each other. If you cant add all of them at one time, when you add fish, rearrange the tank. It will make them feel like they are in a new place and they will all have to become adjusted to the surroundings all over again. As you can see I am in love with cichlid tanks and pretty much always recommend them. They aren't for everyone but the fish are usually brightly colored or fast paced. I can't stand gold-fish because it's like they never move. I am more into the fish that when you try to get them out of the tank it's like trying to catch up with a 10 year old on a sugar high.

Back
Top Bottom