Possible parasite in ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got back from the LFS with a lot of ghosties to help clean in my planted nano. One seems to have a tightly wound thread/wormish white thing is his gut.

Parasite? Should i remove him?

If it looks like a living thing inside of it, I would remove it, yes, especially given that they are 30 cents a piece at petsmart, though that does not constitute for a more disposeable life, whatsoever.

im not sure if its a living thing or not, but it looks like is has a definite composition to it

I will try to find the info I saw on this-it is a parasite and I'd get rid of that shrimp ASAP. Will post later!

EDIT: Here it is-go to www.applesnail.net then "discussions" then "search" for "shrimp and parasite"--

This is part of that discussion:

What you have is a type of horsehair worm. They are common parasites of ghost shrimp, but it's difficult to find information about them on the net.

Horsehair worms often use arthropods, usually insects, as intermediate hosts. This particular one affects ghost shrimp, and is so common that I have yet to find a pet store tank of ghost shrimp that is not infected. I have found no evidence that the worm will infect fish, and it does not appear to be spread between shrimp. It's probably at least a digenetic parasite, and is so common in ghost shrimp because they are often raised in outdoor ponds.

Infection in ghost shrimp is almost always fatal. The shrimp usually becomes milky white and appears ill a few days before the parasite exits. When the worm leaves the digestive tract of the shrimp, the shrimp will usually thrash about wildly, and if it's lucky, will expel the worm through the anus.

I hope this little bit of information helps (or at least eases your mind). I don't know the species of horsehair worm, or the final host. It was very difficult to even find this much information about it. If anyone else finds more information than what I have found, I'd be interested in reading it.

Oh oh. I don't like the sound of this. I noticed lately that some of my ghosts have a couple white spots and some even turned completely white. Is this normal?

When a ghost shrimp turns all white, I believe that means that the are getting ready to molt, make sure they have a hiding place 'til their new shell hardens.

Back
Top Bottom