possible parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crobb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Sorry for the double post, but im quite concerned about anything spreading. Green Cory has small white thing that is staying in his back. Any suggestions what it is and if simply removing it will help?

Never seen anything like it. Have you looked up anchor worms ? One of the few things I can think of that protrudes, but I've never seen a case in person.

Does it appear to bother him ? Is he eating, swimming, etc. or showing signs of distress ?
Might possibly be some sort of tumour, if so, it appears to be attached only at one end, and you might be able to remove it. Clove oil is a good fish anesthetic, provided reasonable care is taken with dosage and timing. It's used for euthanasia too, yes, because overdoses kill, but it's the most common fish anesthetic, and can be used safely for minor surgery and treatments.

Wish I could be more help, I can understand the concern.

Thank for your reply, I looked up that worm last night and it looks different to me. The fish seems normal and healthy but then again maybe it's not or just starting.

I'm sure my bad camera and trouble getting him to stay still doesn't help either. Any chance it could be a spine from my bichir stuck in him?

Foreign bodies can get stuck into fish, so it's possible. If so, removal would be the thing, but it looks kind of fat to be a spine, based on the pic. But I don't know what bichir spines are like, never had one.

Back
Top Bottom