possible pond project...need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyred

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, I'm thinking again and it's dangerous!!!! :lol: I have a patio that is 100% covered. On it is a 4' x 4' square cut out in the cement that was intended for a hot tub. It has become painfully clear the the hot tub will never happen so, I'm thinking.....if I dig this square out 3-4 feet down I could make a decent sized pond right there on my patio.

Any thoughts on how to filter an in ground pond this size? It's going to be several hundred gallons whether it's 3' or 4' deep. Since it's so very hot down here and it doesn't get very cold in the winter, I'm thinking of putting some native aquarium fish, the Texas Cichlid, in there. They live in the Rio Grande naturally (about 8 miles from my house) so I know that they will do well. Should I dig it out and line it with concrete or another liner of some kind? Any advice, tips, thougths???

Here are some pics of the patio, and the 4 x 4 foot square in question. Thats just bare ground in the center. What do y'all think? Is it doable?

That would be a perfect type of pond for a submersible pump that sits in the middle and makes a fountain. You can find alot of pumps that have a tube sticking straight up to make a fountain like a laguna powerjet. I have a rio 1000 in my pond that has the filter attached right to it.

That sounds like a good plan and could bring some nice colour to your patio.

Be sure to post some pictures if you make the pond.

Sweet, sounds like it might work. Any advice on a liner? Would I be better off just lining it with a layer of concrete once I dig it out or should I use some kind of plastic? I've seen those pond forms, but that won't work in a 4 x 4 square like that. What else can I use? Would water eventually damage concrete over time?

I saw some of those submersible filters like you're talking about at Petsmart today, and they were only about $115 dollars....not bad for a big filter.

I have never used concrete for a pond before. but there is a product called pond armor that helps the pond not to leak if it is concrete. A suggestion for the pump too, I get all my pond stuff off ebay. You could cut the cost of this project from $200 to maybe $90. Just an idea, take it or leave it.

The website for pond armour is www.pondarmor.com

I don't know much about ponds, but I would think you could also build something up just beside the pond with a pump and filter sitting on the concrete deck (easier for maint.) and then have the output create a nice waterfall or something like that. Thinking some kind of rock structure with a couple waterfalls in different angles would look and sound really nice.

Back
Top Bottom