Possible Power Outage Solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CiRXSi

Aquarium Advice Activist
Christmasfish's unfortunate outcome with Cookie got me thinking. This is going to sound really far-fetched, and time consuming, but I thought I'd mention it. This would really only work with fish that need special attention, and not someone's entire tank collection. If someone had a 10G QT and preferably an SUV, we could take our little 10G into the back of the SUV and run the car with the heater on, or even get an AC/DC converter (converts cigarette lighter to household plug) and keep our tank's water warm that way. Sure, it's not very good to idle a car for long periods of time, or to have all that power coming off the battery with a converter, but I think many of us would make those kind of sacrifices for one of our special, healing friends. Especially Cookie!

In a related topic, I purchased an APC UPS to keep my tank going if the power went out, and my filters do not work right when running off the battery. The electric motors in filters are unregulated and depend on a rounded SIN wave input. The APC outputs a more squared off wave which causes the impellors to click like crazy instead of spinning.

grimlock3000 said:
In a related topic, I purchased an APC UPS to keep my tank going if the power went out, and my filters do not work right when running off the battery. The electric motors in filters are unregulated and depend on a rounded SIN wave input. The APC outputs a more squared off wave which causes the impellors to click like crazy instead of spinning.

Wow. I don't pretend to completely understand that, but that's good to know! Do all UPS's do this? And are all filter motors the same? I guess I'm asking if that would happen no matter what UPS or filter you had...

I have a low end unit compared to most of what APC sells, though it was still pretty pricey :) The problem should not occur with higher end units that also act as line conidtioners and/or have a better output quality. Basically, the power coming from your wall outlets is nice and smooth like shown in the top line, and the output from the UPS looks like the second line (squared off):

waveform.gif

Heat is the big one....if awake I can stick my sensitives in the 10 and use my camping coffee warmers (metal rod you stick in pot..runs on butane or batteries).
(I dug those puppies out 2 weeks ago)
We have a lot of heat packs for anna's future shipping andnthose can do ..as long as we are awake or home.

Why hasn't someone invented a battery powered heater yet !!! all the marin keepers and such losing fish..surely someone had an electrical degree!

We have battery air pumps for most tanks.
The long power out, I had my then new ghost knife in a bag with Kent ammonia detox for the chlorine remover. in my jacket..(yes he IS my favorite alright) and we wrapped up the 18 gallon that had everyone else still. (this was pre-tetra). Most the species here can take a pretty long slow drop as long as they are babied afterwards. Iknow the chocolates would all be floaters if not for the UPS. It is my daughter's reigning fear..poewer outs. She had somepricey units on the way(still not here) Bro just has a computer protector that lasts about 2.8 hours on his tanks setup (we tested).

Why hasn't someone invented a battery powered heater yet !!! all the marin keepers and such losing fish..surely someone had an electrical degree!

A battery operated heater would not be very effective. The rate you would have to replace batteries would be staggering since producing heat take a lot of power. When I tried using the UPS to backup my tank power, I gave up on the heater since the 150 watts of power use would drain the battery in about 30 minutes 8O That was with a cold room (no heat) when I was testing the APC to simulate and actual outage. That is when I changed my plan to run just the filters on the UPS to keep the tank water oxygenated. The filters would be able to run for many hours (if it worked), they use something like 7 watts each. The couple people I know with serious marine reef tanks use diesel/gas generators for power backup.

Outside of a gasoline powered generator, there aren't many options for a long term outage. The December Noreaster in 95 left me without power for 8 days. I lost all my breeding tanks and fry. It actually kept me away from the hobby for 7 seven years after that.

This August when the entire Northeast was hit, I held my breath for 19 hours (that's a long time *LOL*). However, when the power came on I was bagging my discus for a trip to the lfs. That's an option if you've got a relationship with them, they have power, and they've been programmed to accept some fish.

There is one small battery op..by x-power..the Xantrex models. It can run a single aquarium with a 200 watt for about 2 hours. It won't help for super outagges. they have some major battery packs but those are waaay pricey.

The army has all kinda of stupid heavy(when you have to carry it!) lith battery equipement that is good anywhere from 2-4 hours. And some of that junk is real ineffiecient power hogs.
The also have stuff that runs on "power cels" which I am sure are like my butane hairdryer and curling iron. the technology to do it is out there..it is an issue if the design is there yet.
It is making a heating element that can go in the tank. It may not be as toasty and you may have the fish all gathered around the "fire" but better than dead fish.
Wish my grandpa and dad were alive..they were stupendous engineers and designers. Bet they could have done wonders with todays tech! I am a so-so engineer that quit after 2 straight years of classes.
there has to be a way..I am sure! Making the cost resonable is another point. ~sigh~ And having something that can kick in during a power interupt..
how often are we home and awake during short outtages. :(

I'm no electrical engineer, but couldn't a rig be setup using a car battery? the idea of moving the tank to the suv got me thinking..

I can't imagine it being that difficult to rig a converter of some sort so you can 'plug' a heater into a car battery.

I'll go ask my car stereo buddies to see what might need to be collected as far as parts. One of them has an outlet that runs a plasma tv and ps2 in his car and he's running it off of 1 or 2 car batteries dedicated to it.. atleast i think he is..

Car and Marine batteries would work and power a tank for a long time (with an inverter), but are not very safe for indoor operation. I believe they should be vented to open air which makes them impractical for indoor use, and spilling one can make a bigger mess than you would want to deal with. UPS and other devices requiring high capacity batteries indoors use sealed gel cell batteris insead of lead acid batteries.

OIC.. :(

Well, if one were to DIY a car battery setup, I think an appropriate container and vent system could also be arranged and I think it would still be cheaper and last longer than a UPS.. and you wouldn't have to deal with the *beep beep* of the UPS when it detects a power outtage.. plus, you would only bring that setup into the house when the power goes out. or run a long extension cord from where the unit safely sits outside

knock on wood I'm lucky I live in Hawaii.. if the power were to go out here, the water would probably just drop a few degrees.. a chilly 74deg in the winter *burrrrr*

Just a totally different way of looking at heating the fish tank - how about heating the room instead. This winter we had a prob with our furnace for a day, & the thing that kept us warm was our gas fireplace.

I think if you have all your fish in a room, you can have a relatively cheap (compared to diesel generators anyway) gas or wood stove as your heat source. Just heat up the whole room!

Personally I just can't see a fish room unoes I am professionally breeding. how are my fish going to have daily contact with me and the family if they are stuffeed away in aroom off the beaten path? How are we going to notice them having a problem if we only see them at feedings, ,tank cleanings adn occasional visits?

Not to mention my power bill was over 400 in Dec just keeping the house at a toasty 73-70. keeping a fish room to where the water is 78? I'd have to build a special room that is more than a real generator 8O

Back
Top Bottom