possibly gamete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Becks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
possible gamete expulsion from live rock????

I recently added some more live rock to my tank. On several occasions now I have observed some sort of expulsion (white stringy stuff) being released from a shaded area of one of the rocks.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of phenomena before? Any ideas on what this possibly could be?

TIA

Becks

I have a new tank (about 3 weeks old) with new live rock in it. Since adding the rock, on four separate occassions I have seen puffs of something emitting from a certain spot on the rock. It is always the same spot and it is in plain view. The stuff that comes out is white and stringy. It rises in the water for a few seconds and then disperses. (Sorry I haven't been able to catch the event on camera!)

The spot that emits the puff looks like any other little hole on the rock although at one point yesterday, I could swear I saw little bitty black legs reaching out and grabbing and digging... Crud on the rock near the hole seemed to be moving, but maybe I'm hallucinating...

Whatever it is survived shipping all the way from Fiji?! What on earth could it be?

Becks

Worms. Crabs. Never know, but things do survive. It's a critter of some type, that's for sure. It could take 2 days to 2 years to find out what it is - if then. :roll:

No.. what I am getting looks more like a magic act. It's an event rather than a thing. It has not much substance to it. It's like smoke. I posted also on the "Identification" board with a better description....

I'm sure it's a monster from another planet but that's okay - I once married one of those.
(hee hee hee)

Hi Becks. I witnessed this countless of time. It is like releasing a gas of somesort I think is the dirt the critter swallowed after digested the good stuffs they release the bad stuffs out. That is my guess.

It is not only coming in one rocks, they are all over the place. Like spawning of some sort but I am sure must be some kind of critter but not sure what they are I always can't get a good look after seeing that release of gas lol

Back
Top Bottom