Possibly sick and/or pregnant gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
The fish is a neon red dwarf gourami. The fish seems to be bloated in the stomach area; it has a sizeable bulge near the head but towards the bottom of the fish. Also, it seems to almost be gasping, a bit more heavily than simply opening and closing of the mouth.
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
The tank has just completed its cycle and therefore ammonia and nitrates are zero or near-zero and nitrates are 10-20. Temp is 79. pH is unknown.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
29 gallon freshwater community. Set up less than 2 months.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Double-filtered with a Tetra Whisper 10 and an Aquaclear 50.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
Other community fish are in the tank and are not bothering the gourami. Tetras and glass catfish, a pleco, and a hillstream loach.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Last water change was earlier this week. Will do this at least once a week. Water changed between 30-50%.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
Had the fish about a week with no problems except shyness. Acclimated by floating the bag.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
New plants.
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
We feed a mixed diet of tetramin flakes and live brine shrimp, both of which the gourami likes to eat.

The gourami also can swim fine but prefers to hang out, especially in cover near the bottom of the tank.

Are the scales sticking out from the body, similar to a pine cone?

How quickly has this appeared on the fish?

The scales aren't sticking out at all. Honestly, she just looks really fat... it appeared in the last week and seems to be sticking around.

The scales aren't sticking out at all. Honestly, she just looks really fat... it appeared in the last week and seems to be sticking around.

I'm afraid that we may be looking at dropsy. Is there any way that you can post a picture here so that I can see her?

I would love to be able to, but she's really shy, so whenever I approach the tank with a camera she hides... I might be able to...

I just thought of something else, right when we got her, she totally gorged herself on our Amazon Frogbit plants, til there were barely any left. Could that be it...?

I would love to be able to, but she's really shy, so whenever I approach the tank with a camera she hides... I might be able to...

I just thought of something else, right when we got her, she totally gorged herself on our Amazon Frogbit plants, til there were barely any left. Could that be it...?

That's a possibility. Fish will gorge themselves on food they particularly love. How is she doing now? Has the problem toned down?

I think it has toned down a little, but I'll have to check in a couple of days and get back to you since I'm away from the tank right now...

Back
Top Bottom