Possibly Sick Oranda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iwantitall

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all!

I am new here and am not sure if I am posting in the correct spot but I have a question. I bought a rather large Oranda last Friday evening. He has a nice round shape and fairly large wen. However, he's been spending a lot of time swimming or simply resting upside down at the top of the tank. Sometimes he's at the bottom bottom side up. I know Orandas are not necessarily proportionately built but I am concerned. My Ryukin nibbled at the Oranda's wen last nigh which has me nervous. The Oranda doesn't appear to have any infections but does appear to have a small piece of his wen that looks detached but when I looked last night there doesn't appear to be any infection but are some black spots that I cannot tell if they are his coloring or..... Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and I am excited to be a new member here!
David

P.S.
I have a 60 gallon aquarium with an air pump and I believe a total of 150 GPH which I have since learned I need to increase once I can figure out how to get the tank away from the wall to make the change. :ermm: :(

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

Wondering how [FONT=&quot]acclimatisation[/FONT] went and if he settled in ok for at least a day before troubles started?

Would be always handy to check water chemistry but upside-down sounds like a bit of air or tummy trouble. Could that fit? Has he been eating and pooping ok? I'd stop feeding for several days and then try some peas.

Fish Bloat, Diagnoses and Treatment

Thank you for the input, Delapool. I should have mentioned that he had been having swimming issues when I got him from the place I bought him. However, it was dark out and he was in a pond. I bought him anyway because I just was so drawn to him and hoped he'd be healthier with me. (I had another Oranda years ago that did this and was so much better with me than in the fish store.) Anyway, he settled in ok and was a little more stable but doing summersaults in the tank. He's just cute! I only feed them twice a week. All my other fish, another Oranda and Ryukins, are doing just fine. I have a total of 5 in the tank but he is the largest by far. I reduced the water flow last night to see if that would help. I also have two air stones in the tank, I'm not sure if they are producing too much current. I gave them all bloodworms last night and he ate just fine. Is there anything else I should look for?

Thanks

I am not that experienced with goldfish despite my avatar, but the problem is from feeding them food at the surface, they gulp air and get it in their swim bladder. You should feed them their food in a paste form. Take the pellets, soften in water, and put down into the water with a spoon or stick or something, syringe. Sinking pellets would work fine but if you have gravel or river rock alot of pellets will get lost in the rocks and rot causing toxic water quality problems.
For now, just withold food for a couple days (carp can go all winter with no food no worries there) and mabye someone else can suggest some additional measures you could take to get the air in his swim bladder back to normal.
If you have bare bottom or sand sinking pellets are just fine.
BTW its the best way to go, gravel is nasty and poop builds up fast making it unhealthy for fish after half a year.

Good points above.

The only other trick I have heard of is at some stage to try putting in shallow water which is only enough to completely cover. This is meant to reduce pressure which may help.

Back
Top Bottom