Posting links - rules?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumma.of.two

Aquarium Advice Obsessed
Lately I have found myself posting a lot of links to outside sites instead of typing the same long info over and over. I'm wanting to check if I am breaking any site rules by doing this. All links are relevant to the conversations in the threads I am posting in.

Links are generally ok so long as they are on topic and there is not commercial intent behind you posting them (I.e. you run a website and constantly direct people there to buy from you).

Here is what the rules specifically state:

NO SPAM! Our user base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Participants may not post affiliate links or links to direct others to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest. Exception to this may be found in Signature Standards, Aquaria-Related Commercial Posting, Sponsoring Vendors and Commercial Members (see below).

I think most of us post links to other sites occasionally. There are some great resources out there. I regularly post links to the profiles section of cichlid-forum and use plantgeek, apc, and planted tank for info on plants. Like Fort said, as long as you're not referring people to other sites (for membership, profit, etc), and it's just to help someone, it's perfectly fine.

Now... if it's a signature, that's a different story:

Signature may not include email addresses, links to competing websites, prompts to contact or a sales pitch
Just thought I'd toss that out there as well while on the topic.

BUT it is ok to reference your own build thread in your sig right? Or even another AA thread for that matter.?

Back
Top Bottom