potential problem, scum on top of water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishstah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been an aquarium owner for about a month, and I've really been enjoying the hobby. I have a ten gallon, with a normal incandecent hood that I bought at wallmart. I used the wallmart compact flourecent aquarium lights, and I'm pretty happy with them for the most part. I added some neon tetras after my tank cycled, and noticed that they looked good for the most part, but it bothered me that they were shadowed in the top front region of the tank, where the lid is. I thought that I may be able to fix the "problem" by putting aluminum foil on the underside of the lid. I used double sided permanent tape to fix the foil to the underside of the lid. The results were not good; It doesn't make a difference. The tape is not really exposed. It's almost all under the foil. I think I had some smoky looking scum on the top of the water even before I added the tape and foil, but now I'm worried that some of the water that condenses on the lid may be raining small amounts of adhesive back into the tank. The film "breaks" when it comes in contact with plants, fish, fingers ect. I try to clean it off with paper towels, and by vacuming small amounts of water from the top of the tank. After I do this you can see it floating in small patches like an oil or something.(only when the light hits it at a certain angle). The next day it is always back in full force. I want some people's opinion on what the film may be, if I have a cause for concern, ect. The fish seem to be doing fine. I would also like to know if anyone has a solution for illumination issues in the top front portion of the tank.

It is usually a protein scum layer caused by not enough surface movement. You can add and airstone, if you have a HOB filter lower your tank water just enough that the outflow of the filter has to fall into the water, like a little water fall. Both these methods will cause the layer to break up.

Back
Top Bottom