Potentially sick molly? I'm not sure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello again, I think I can post a quick update!

So bad news is, still got the worms, and I miiiiight be noticing the baby mollies with symptoms of them, I'm not sure. It's still early to tell because they're so young. Can an infected mother pass it on to offspring?
Yes, the water, the substrate, everything in your tank is contiminated with camallanus larve, every drop.
Liquid levimasole is the best treatment that i know of to just "treat" a tank itself. In my own experience with them, i choose to euthanize the fish and stearlizie the tanks and start over. Dont hold on to one or two sick fish, and give the parasitic worms a foothold in your hobby. They may never go away.
If you got powder or liquid levimasole, thats great, it may kill the larve or at least its more effective for treating the entire tank then the food would be.
I would use the food in addtion to the liquid.....then redose the food later on or if you choose to start over, feed the Lev. food prophalaticlly for new fish.

I have an update! I used levamisole medicated flakes and I think that gave things bit of a head start. I noticed the worms protruded more after two days of feeding. Anyone who goes this route, I do not recommend alone, combine it with levamisole HCl. Or use flakes first to get them introduced. They won't eat the flakes unless they're starving and they need to be consumed quickly because levamisole is water soluble! And the flakes get fuzzy if left in there SO, if it doesn't stress them too much, remove or deaden current, and fast them for a day and don't feed them many flakes to make sure they eat it all up. Cleaning it up is a pain! Learn from my experience!

Yesterday I found my Betta "dead". She was floating on the inside of the driftwood but when I looked closer she was sleeping and had a huge blue turd hanging from her! The medication was blue and when she dropped that the worms seemed less even more present. She scared me with that move but I think she was just trying to make herself comfortable.

I did an 80 percent water change and removed the carbon from the insert (penguin filter insert) by cutting into it and wiggling my fingers in there to remove them and rinsed out what I couldn't grab. I got a 5 gram bag of levamisole HCl from Charles online and dissolved that in 100ml of water, which would treat a 100gal once.

I sucked up floating medicated flakes I found still in there and will be for the next while LOL.

I put in fresh dechlorinated water and gave them regular flakes, they didn't seem very interested although they had a nibble or two.

I added 10ml of the levamisole HCl to the aquarium. A few hours later I saw two long worms sticking about 5mm out. That was midnight. At 1am, I saw no worms! And my Betta began acting move normal and curious. I found little white things in the baby Molly enclosure, I'm assuming they were infected too. I checked again this morning and my Betta is still worm free, and her colour vibrant :) I know I'm not in the clear but so far no casualties. My shrimp aren't happy but they're trucking on.

I will keep updating you guys about the progress or whatever happens. Hopefully it can help another newbie in the same predicament. Thank you guys for helping me so far and no, no one has had to be euthanized c: then again I check the tank closely daily so I notice things fairly fast. Will keep you posted!

Back
Top Bottom