potting soil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiltrip

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What can i use for potting soil for an aquarium plant. justDIY suggested all natural clay kitty litter. what else have people used? what works good?

- kip

well, let me clarify a bit.

I suggested it's OK to use in a "pot" in an aquarium, as you put it "potting soil" ... i've also used it as the tank's substrate, but that is not something I'd recommend for someone starting out, as it requires a LOT of patience waiting for the water to clear 8O

additionally, be sure to rinse well and cover with at least an inch of plain gravel.

-----

other products to look at:

Schultz Aquatic Potting Soil - walmart outdoor department

Seachem Flourite - several varieties, including a dark gray/black sand - found at some ma-n-pa pet stores as well as online

1st Layer Pure Laterite - gravel enchancer, available at most chain pet stores

-----

if I had to rank those in order of difficulty of use, the list would look like this, starting with most difficult

1. kitty litter
2. flourite
3. laterite
4. schultz

I used the Schultz Aquatic Potting Soil and really like the way it looks.

My tank is pretty new so I can't give any advice other than pure aesthetics. :mrgreen:

might be too late in the season for walmart, it was an item they kept in the outdoor section here.

keep searching - it is out there!

Back
Top Bottom