Powder blue Dwarf Gourami sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warhorseart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've pulled this guy from my tank.. Pretty sure he's a goner but would like to know if anyone has dealt with this. Four days ago he started hiding in the plants. Not his normal self. Day 2 lethargic/ not eating/ rapid breathing. Day 3 hiding in furthest dark corner at bottom of tank/ rapid breathing/ bloated/ scales popping out. I've had him for a little over a month. I purchased him with another flame dwarf Gourami who appears to be fine. All other fish in tank are doing great.

image-2836277737.jpg

image-3164481736.jpg

image-2099474282.jpg

You can see his scales are popped out away from the body.

Thanks,
Steph

From the third picture and the description, i would say your poor little fish has dropsy. I had a dwarf honey gourami that had the same thing. Dropsy is normally the result of a worse or deeper disease and as far as I am aware is 99% fatal. When this happened to mine I got some medication for it but he just deteriorated over time, and he started to look like he was in pain so I put him out of his misery, i hope you all the best for your fish and that your result is better than mine. I want to also say that i had 5 gouramis, and after this happened to one, it seemed to happen to them all, just the others didn't have funny scales, so watch out for that if you have more than one gourami. Good luck

Thanks for the quick response. I only have one more so I'll keep an eye on him.
S

I've had the same problem with different varieties of Dwarf Gouramis in my tank. First they hide in the plants, and they just start wasting away. I started looking around the internet, and found that many commercially bred Gouramis suffer from something called "iridovirus". Here is an article that talks about it a little. It may shed some light on your situation.

Aquarium Fish: Fish Viral Disease

Thanks, thanks soooo much! I have posted two questions asking why this has happened and no one answered but i know now, this seems to be exctly what has happened to my Gouramis. You have really helped here and i cant say how thankful I am, I just wont buy any more pesky little gouramis, to be honest i don't like them that much, but at least i know now, THANKS :)

Unfortunately Mr Blue died last night. I read up on the virus and it sounds spot on. I have one Dwarf Gourami in my tank so I'll keep an eye on him. Question, it is contagious to other fish in the tank?
Steph

Unfortunately Mr Blue died last night. I read up on the virus and it sounds spot on. I have one Dwarf Gourami in my tank so I'll keep an eye on him. Question, it is contagious to other fish in the tank?
Steph

Sorry about your fish! :( I had a Giant Gourami die of dropsy. He looked just like your picture. I don't know if it's contagious I did a 50% water change anyway to make sure. Good luck with the rest!!

Back
Top Bottom