Power shift in my south american tank... Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Better? Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• image-3984238016.jpg
    image-3984238016.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 77
  • image-3896980548.jpg
    image-3896980548.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 72
That kinda looks like a boy to me but it'll become more evident as it gets bigger. Those plants in the second pic on the left side look like dracaena aka ribbon plants. They are not fully aquatic and will rot if left submerged long term.

So remove them? I really hate petsmart! :( what do you suggest for plants.

There's a ton of options, just not those, lol.

Crypts are good, various sword plants as well. There are many others to choose from. I suggest getting your plants from someone online in the future, it's a lot cheaper and you will get a lot more bang for your buck.

Good to know, these are my first live plants :) I'm just tired of the lack of knowledge in this area :(

Better? Fingers crossed!

How many pounds of sand did you add to the tank? Looks like you may have gone a little overboard, but nothing to worry about.

The tank looks nice and has a decent setup with the rocks. With a JD in a tank that size and some other cichlds, I think some nipping is going to be inevitable. I've always had a few cichlids that refused to assume their proper place in the dominance chain and take a beating because of it.

Hopefully that BP will soon realize he loses 10/10 times to a real cichlid.

5x5 said:
How many pounds of sand did you add to the tank? Looks like you may have gone a little overboard, but nothing to worry about.

The tank looks nice and has a decent setup with the rocks. With a JD in a tank that size and some other cichlds, I think some nipping is going to be inevitable. I've always had a few cichlids that refused to assume their proper place in the dominance chain and take a beating because of it.

Hopefully that BP will soon realize he loses 10/10 times to a real cichlid.

There's about 65-70 pds of sand, I like to use the sand to break up the tank into spots too. I made "bowls" in the sand toward the back, that way they can swim down into them as hiding spots. Over the night with the switch to the 55, the whole tank has changed. The parrot fish has become very docile and is guarding the clown knife, the convict is just swimming about ( he looks like he is having a blast.) Now the JD is actually mouthing the sides of the clown knife, and the knife will not back down. No actual damage visible, so not too worried yet, but I am watching the tank like a hawk ;)

JD looks male. You should be able to tell or sure in a few months after it gains some size and the spangles on the face develop.

Alright, I removed the ribbon plant. I added an antique tempered bottle glass vase with sand too the top its perfect for the ribbon plants to grow up out of the water. The fish love the extra hide and the plants won't die :) jack has calmed a bit but still being a little terror. Parrot has taken to my driftwood and pretty much stays there. Convict is still having a blast swimming around :) I'm wondering though, if I were to remove one to balance the tank more, which would be the best option. I'm really attached to the clown knife, he's my baby ;) I've read that removing an alpha fish can cause other fish to become more aggressive in the tank?

Loureed said:
Alright, I removed the ribbon plant. I added an antique tempered bottle glass vase with sand too the top its perfect for the ribbon plants to grow up out of the water. The fish love the extra hide and the plants won't die :) jack has calmed a bit but still being a little terror. Parrot has taken to my driftwood and pretty much stays there. Convict is still having a blast swimming around :) I'm wondering though, if I were to remove one to balance the tank more, which would be the best option. I'm really attached to the clown knife, he's my baby ;) I've read that removing an alpha fish can cause other fish to become more aggressive in the tank?

Good thinking on the vase. I think re-homing the jack is still your best option. The parrot should be pretty docile. The convict should be cool as long as you don't introduce a female and all should be good with the knife. Jack is gonna prob get bigger faster and if it's mean like mine, he's gonna kill everything else.

Thanks, the vase actually looks cool and I'm thinking about doing the same with some bamboo? So removing the jack sounds smart, I agree. I just can't risk my other fish. What would you recommend I add? I'd much rather get your opinions on proper fish community than the stores! What would go well with the clown and the convict and parrot?

When your 55 is finished cycling, you could find your male jack a female to cozy up with. Females have more of a blotchy pattern of blue going down the face an gill plate whereas the males are more defined and circular.

Would adding another jack calm my male down? I thought they were more aggressive in pairs? I really can't have them attacking my clown knife or parrot. But if it will calm him down I'll try anything ;)

jetajockey said:
I wouldn't let anything in that tank pair up unless you can move everything else out.

That's what I thought, I didnt do any pairs to start bc I wanted a nonaggressive tank of about 4-6 fish. After finding out I was wrong about their native locations and such I'm at a loss in trusting the things I thought I learned.

The convict, clown and parrot could stay in your 30 and be fine. Maybe add a few small dither fish like neon tetras for some movement.
I was suggesting moving only your jack to the new 55 and giving him a mate.

I can see that. I really like the clown and parrot in the 55 bc they both get big. Mr.convict gets to stay bc he's been such a nice guy. I think I'm going to give jack to a friend with a bigger setup of them. I think I will just get another fish or two to go with clown and parrot in the 55. Pairs just aren't what I was hoping for I think ( they require lots of work for breeding and such).

Loureed said:
I can see that. I really like the clown and parrot in the 55 bc they both get big. Mr.convict gets to stay bc he's been such a nice guy. I think I'm going to give jack to a friend with a bigger setup of them. I think I will just get another fish or two to go with clown and parrot in the 55. Pairs just aren't what I was hoping for I think ( they require lots of work for breeding and such).

I see.......sorry if I confused you. What about some dwarf cichlids?

Freakgecko91 said:
Clown knifes get over a foot? A 30, or a 55 even, is not large enough IMO

This I know ;) I have a sister inlaw with a 175 set up he can graduate to, I want to watch him grow so I'm ready for that:) what do you recommend as tank mate for him?

Back
Top Bottom