Powerhead for a Planted 29 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandoborg

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey folks, I'm suffering from a dual case of 'nothing left to buy for my tank' and 'bored Friday afternoon after surgery' so I thought i'd ask this one. As the title says I have a 29 gallon planted tank..... everything is just fine in there, but was wondering what a powerhead does and if it's worth putting one in. I have a giant Amazon sword, Limnophilia Aromaticas, Ludwigia Repens, Corkscrew Val, Rotala Sp Vietnam, Micro Swords and some Anubias' tied here and there. Paintball CO2 with Eco-complete....... Would a powerhead be worth putting in, and do you put it on top, or bottom of the water column??....Would it just makes a mess of everything kicking up detritus?
Maybe I should just go buy some new books and cd's or something, and just leave the tank alone..... Maybe it's the meds talking ??!! :lol:

Jim

I ran a Fluval 206 on my 29g and found that I wasn't getting enough flow so I added a hydor koralia nano 240 powerhead. Good flow now, pretty cheap on Amazon too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ran a Fluval 206 on my 29g and found that I wasn't getting enough flow so I added a hydor koralia nano 240 powerhead. Good flow now, pretty cheap on Amazon too!

Yup, great little ph..i run mine in the top corner opposite my filter, above my diffuser

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yup I just have it on the side opposite my filter toward the front. It's at the top of my tank angled a bit downward and gives my plants a good sway. If anything it keeps your tank cleaner because it doesn't allow detritus to collect in dead spots and instead just lets it get sucked up by your filter.

Yep, the consensus in hydor koralia. I have the 400 in my 55 gallon and love it. Good flow is pretty essential in a planted tank to help you keep from having detritus gather up in places you can't gravel vac.

Thanks so much folks !! Looks like the Hydor Koralia Nano 240 is the way to go for this set-up. So I guess the only other question I have left is on placement. I've seen them both just under the surface and others way down low in the tank. Is this just a matter of preference or are there specific reasons for one over the other......
Thanks again for your input. Kind of glad I can actually go and buy something else for this tank now !! Only have room for one so i'm running out of things to do to it !! :O)

Jim

A powerhead basically pushes the water around making currents (commonly used for saltwater) i would recomend Hydor, Fluval, Sicce, and if you wsnt to go all out then buy an ecotech marine vortech, those thins are beast.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As for placement ... I move mine around a lot. Different positions did different things to plants, substrate, detritus, and fish behavior. The fish really enjoy the current.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom