Powerheads and Freshwater Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patwa

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey

can some of you offer me up some freshwater tank scenarios where I can make use of a powerhead(s) to increase turbulence?? or to create a prevailing current??

so far I can think of a pleco tank ....any more? maybe a motaro stingray tank?

i've never really read about any freshwater applications using a Powerhead, but i know there are prolly some nice setups u guys can think of or know.

(yeah i'm planning to get me a new 65 gal tank on boxing day!)

Zach.

I really never used powerheads in any of the freshwater tanks that I set up. In life if you can enjoy the hobby with not spending a fortune on every little thing that you think is a necessity, your time as a hobbist will be much more enjoyable. :p

I have a rio 600 that I use for water changes, got it cheap at the garden shop my GF works at. It seemed a shame to leave it sitting around most of the time so I put it in to swirl things around, it works great.

I have it near the bottom about 1/3 to 1/4 of the way to one side, pointed across the tank and up at about a 45 degree angle with a spreader nozzle thing that came with it. The fish seem to like the current.

You can power a sponge filter with it. You'll get excellent circulation and a substantial bio mass of nitrifying bacteria. Your plecos should love it!! :D

I used a power head when I was treating Ich in my 26g tank to keep the water aerated. Once the Ich was cleared up, I left it in the tank because my wife and fish like the bubbles. It does not do much except push water around, I bought a pre-filter for it but think it would look bad in the tank.

BrianNY said:
You can power a sponge filter with it. You'll get excellent circulation and a substantial bio mass of nitrifying bacteria. Your plecos should love it!! :D

wicked idea! never ever used a sponge filter before ....but i've read that it can do wonders for the tank...niiiice!

Zach.

grimlock3000 said:
I used a power head when I was treating Ich in my 26g tank to keep the water aerated. Once the Ich was cleared up, I left it in the tank because my wife and fish like the bubbles. It does not do much except push water around, I bought a pre-filter for it but think it would look bad in the tank.

yah i'm quite anal about how equipment is used in a tank...if I had it my way, there would all be invisibile...I HATE seeing equipment in a tank....i dunnooo......

i like my tanks to be as natural as possible...that's why i was thinking about adding currents and turbulence.....but i really don't want this equipment to show at all...thank god they're small!!!

Zach.

can someone name of some fish they think will LIKE currents and/or turbulence in the tank?? so far all I know is that plecos like fast moving water....and maybe some esturaine/brackish fish....but i need names!

any others?

thanks,

Zach

I think Madasafishs favorite like currents. Rainbow Fish.

Back
Top Bottom