Pre Filter... please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will a regular green dish sponge work to wrap around the intake so my impeller stops getting clogged? Assuming it has no surfectants, chemicals, detergents, etc. Or where can I find something cheap that will work? I have a crappy AquaTech lol.

Lol well I have a Bio Bag filter bag wrapped around it right now and it keeps getting clogged... I am not sure if pantyhose would do the trick, but I will try it just in case. Thanks!

What's it getting clogged with? Mud? Really fine particles? You might need something to catch more fine particles, like filter floss, just stick it down in the uptake tube, and make sure it doesn't go anywhere. I'm sure that'd suck to clean out of the impeller. You might be able to wrap some filter floss in a bio bag thing then shove it in the tube.

EDIT: I'm pushin the filter floss because I used some today and it cleared up the fine particles in my tank in like a half hour.

It is Pool Filter Sand. I will take a picture of what I have going on when I get home for the night. :)

it will work i would use zip ties. though i use aquaclear sponges and just put a hole in it. works a lot better.

I also use AC sponges. I use a knife and carefully stab a hole through it, then I stick a finger in the hole, and pry it open as much as possible. I fit the sponge over the intake tube while it is dry, then into the tank it goes.

The best prefilter I've found are the replacement sponges for penguin powerheads. They're a coarser foam than the aquaclear sponges, so they don't clog as quickly. I use them on all my hob and canister filter intakes, and clean them once weekly when I do partials.

The best prefilter I've found are the replacement sponges for penguin powerheads. They're a coarser foam than the aquaclear sponges, so they don't clog as quickly. I use them on all my hob and canister filter intakes, and clean them once weekly when I do partials.

Hm, good info! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom