Pre filter sponge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Recently switched to a aquaclear 30 for my 20g tank with nano fish. Have to use a sponge on my filter intake tube cause I have small fish. Briefly didn't have a sponge and two celestial pearl danios got sucked up killing one and injuring another. Problem is when the sponge is on the filter goes down to a tiny trickle defeating the purpose of a good filter. Is there something I can use that will protect my fish and shrimp but Also let my filter work to almost full capacity Have sponges on other filters with no problems

Can't remember brand

Attachments

• image-216226944.jpg
    image-216226944.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 63
Is it quite dense? I'm about to put the sponge from an aquaclear 20 on my aquaclear 70 uptake- it's quite coarse, I'm pretty sure it won't reduce flow but I'll see soon!

I have a similar sponge that I got with a submersible pond pump. I am using it on an AC50 HOB filter and the flow does not appear to be reduced. Then again, it might be quite porous because the aforementioned pump was rated at +500 gph.

Use of piece of knee high pantyhose. Hold it in place with a rubber band. Works great at keeping fish and shrimp safe and doesn't reduce water flow.

I just tested with an aquaclear 20 sponge. No reduction in flow at all. I just cut a slit in the top so it fits over the tube.

I just tested with an aquaclear 20 sponge. No reduction in flow at all. I just cut a slit in the top so it fits over the tube.

I tried that as well and it worked. However, the beige colored sponge really stuck out against the black background and substrate. Usually I am function over form but I just could not take my eyes off of it (distracting). Perhaps with a light colored or no background this would have worked for me. The tank is in a bedroom and for its "calming" effect.

I like the panty hose idea. I have seen those flat sided water bottles (Fiji brand?) with the panels cut out and panty hose stretched over it. The idea was to increase the surface area, provide a rigid structure for the hosiery, and not restrict water flow.

Pantyhose over aquaclear sponge?

(My tanks have pale background, never co
Panty hose over the water bottle. Water bottle has panels cut out to allow water flow.

Sorry, my dog got tangled in my phone charger :)

...never considered that aspect. Would bother me too.

That happens :)
Took a while to get a tank in the bedroom. Need to make it pleasant to look at.

Back
Top Bottom