Pre-mixed salt water vs reg water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtlion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I am at a point right now that I am not sure what water to use. I only have access to well water at my house that is high in iron and has who knows what else in it. I saw that they sell pre-mixed salt water and thought that maybe I should use this in leiu of mixing my own water with salt mix. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Hmm, most people on a well are extremely pleased with the quality of their water.

In any event, I'd think running your well water through an RO/DI would be your best bet. Buying water is fine, but it's going to get extremely expensive in the long run. Purchasing your own RO/DI filter system is extremely cost effective.

I am on well water also. I have excellent water but I still use an RO/DI unit. The way I look at it, it's better to start with pure water and build back the elements and nutrients rather then start with ???? and have to get rid of excess nutrients.

Check out Ebay for an RO/DI unit, I got mine for under $100 shipped.

Hello, I am at a point right now that I am not sure what water to use. I only have access to well water at my house that is high in iron and has who knows what else in it. I saw that they sell pre-mixed salt water and thought that maybe I should use this in leiu of mixing my own water with salt mix. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

If you don't want to go with an RO/DI unit, then another option other than premixed salt water would be to buy RO/DI water. Then just mix the salt in yourself. That way YOU get to decide what brand of salt to use, and what salinity you want it at.

Thanks for the advice, it is really appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom