predator tank ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amdninjaboy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently had my community tank wiped out by a bout of velvet.. I am letting the tank sit fishless for 8 weeks.. When I start to add fish again I am considering doing a predator based tank.. Im thinking of having a lionfish, porcupine puffer, yellow tang, harlequin tuskfish and possibly an angelfish of some type.. Im wondering about aggresion issues, mostly the puffer and lionfish.. I have read some places say they are fine together others say the porcupine will go after the lionfish.. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these fish together.. My tank is a 90 gal with a 20Gal sump, lots of live rock and a skimmer..

Thanks
Shane.

Well if your talking about a dwarf zebra lion fish then alright awesome! But the vilotian lion fish needs at least a 150 gallon tank because they get so big.

Ha ok cool that's awesome then! I love predatory tanks. Very cool tanks

I'm going in the same direction right now as well... Got 2 triggers, 2 damsels and gonna be adding a dog-faced puffer and a black volitan to finish it out.. From everyone I've talked to, puffers and lions can co-exist, you just have to watch for fin-nipping, and make sure the puffer isn't too small, but being that you're going with a dwarf lion..you should be ok

From what Ive read I see varying recommendations for minimum tank size for a yellow tang.. As small as a 55 gal up to some saying minimum size is 180 Gal... From most sites I feel the 4ft long thing is the guideline so they have some good swimming room..

Do yourself a favor and spend 10-15 minutes watching a yellow tang at your lfs, they are very active swimmers.. I personally wouldn't put them in anything smaller than a 6 footer.....but that's me

It's not always the length though. It's the width also a 55 for a yellow is a terrible because the tang can't turn around easily.

I have a predator/aggressive set-up ,,going on 5 years now... Humu-humu trigger,Clown trigger,purple tang,Maroon clown and a Koran angel in a 125 (72x18)...i personally can't wait to upgrade to an 8 maybe even 10 footer,,and will be doing so in a years time...
I am new here on this site but not to the SW forum world,,the debate of YT's in 55's to 75 to 90 has made my head spin:ROFLMAO:...Personally i had one in a 90 for a couple years then traded him for my beloved angel when i upgraded to the 125...i do think the OP's fish list is border line for a 90 but not because of the tang...Mostly the angel(unless its a dwarf),,,mine is the meanest SOB in the tank and he lets everyone know about it...Not sure how one would be in a 90

If I did get an angel it would be a flame angel or a coral beauty.. Not sure if I want to chance it with a lionfish although I think it would be large enough not to become dinner..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom