Preggo Platies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phishstix

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All!!
I am a fairly new at all of this, so here goes... I brought home 3 platy fish about 3 weeks ago, 2 female 1 male. 1 female looked as if she had eaten a LOT when I brought her home and the other looked normal sized. The bigger of the 2 (OJ) I decided after about a week that she HAD to have been preggers when I brought her home because she just continued to get bigger and bigger. She has looked like she was about ready to pop for days and days. Yesterday, around noon when I came home from work, I checked out the tank, counted the ghost shrimp and SURPRISE!!! There was a baby lurking around in the hornwort! Now, after about the 2nd week of having the Platies- the 2nd female Quila (tequila sunrise platy) caught up with OJ in belly size. It was hard to tell which one looked more pregnant than the other. I can only assume that one of them is a more experienced mother (the latter I'm guessing) and that's why she caught up in size so quickly? At any rate, I haven't noticed much of a difference in behavior between the two. Both rest in quiet areas of the tank, they both have continued to eat in a healthy manner. I left for about an hour after finding the first fry and upon my return there was a second, yaaay!! Problem is, I have no idea which one is dropping them. I don't plan on separating them into breeder tanks or nurseries because I don't want to interfere with the natural course of things. I have a heavily planted tank with a large java fern, lots of hornwort (planted and floating), anacharis, a forest of water sprite, dwarf amazon swords, and banana plants that are rooted and growing like crazy- their leaves are nearly 1/2 up the length of the tank. The new fry have been hiding successfully (so far-they made it 24hrs ish/through the night). hiding in all the cover. Is there any way other than staring into the tank all day- to know which one is dropping? Also, those were the only 2 fry i have seen and they were born yesterday- but both quila and oj look just as pregnant as they did 3 days ago. I'm so confused!! Help help!? :confused:

All you can do is wait til they get bigger and check out their color.. are your females different in pattern?

Ok, so I think the great mystery may be solved. I figured I'd just give it time, wait & observe. One of the platy girls can most certainly be classified as a late bloomer male!

Oj STILL looks huge, but quilla its most definitely a male- who definitely used to have female characteristics... Crazy platies!

I know how that is I thought I had bought a male from the store and when I got her home she had fry

Back
Top Bottom