Pregnant and or ill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gefts

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, this is my first post and my first aquarium! I have 3 platies (amongst other fish) two females and a male. This particular female has a few markings on its scales, as well as being a bit "bulky".

My worry is that it's I'll in which case I would be grateful if anyone can let me know if they know what it is and what to do (image attached).

Also, was wondering if someone could recognize from the image if it is pregnant or not, and if it is, if she's got long as I have bought a breeding floaty box and don't want to leave her in there for longer than necessary.

Many thanks in advanced!

Attachments

• image-572079934.jpg
    image-572079934.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 80
Yes, it's a silver shark :). Sorry, did you say she isn't pregnant or that she is in first week of pregnancy? How long does pregnancy last? As mentioned, don't want to keep her in the breading thing for longer than necessary and not sure when I should put her in there..

Yes, maybe in the first week of pregnancy. If she continues to get bigger, she is pregnant. The gestation period for livebearers is 28 days. You would ideally want to release her now then in the last day of pregnancy or when you see a fry, move her into the breeder net.

Perfect that's great, thanks!

Not sure if I'll be able to tell when she's about to "pop" but will try and will keep updated :)

Your Fish

Hi all, this is my first post and my first aquarium! I have 3 platies (amongst other fish) two females and a male. This particular female has a few markings on its scales, as well as being a bit "bulky".

My worry is that it's I'll in which case I would be grateful if anyone can let me know if they know what it is and what to do (image attached).

Also, was wondering if someone could recognize from the image if it is pregnant or not, and if it is, if she's got long as I have bought a breeding floaty box and don't want to leave her in there for longer than necessary.

Many thanks in advanced!

Hello G...

Unless you have experience in fish biology, it would be difficult for anyone to say if your fish are sick or not. The best, natural thing to do would be to raise the temperature in the tank to about 80 degrees and do a large, water change a couple of times per week. Make the replacement water a little warmer than the rest of the tank. Also, feed your fish a little minced garlic every couple of days and follow this routine for a few weeks.

The combination of pure, treated, warm, tap water and lots of it, along with a natural antibiotic, like minced garlic should help.

Just a thought.

B

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom