pregnant catfish or bloated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonyarenae

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My catfish has had a fat belly for about a month now and I don't know if she's pregnant or bloated

Attachments

• IMG_20140226_200935433.jpg
    IMG_20140226_200935433.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 151
Catfish are scavengers and can very quickly over eat. This doesn't mean yours did but it is a huge possibility. Cut back on the feeding some if you can and see if that helps things.

Also, check the scales. Are the scales sticking out away from the body even a little? Is the area pinkish? Pale gills? clamped fins? If so it is likely Dropsy/bloat and I would remove (if you can) to a small treatment tank and go from there.

Either way test your water and give the tank a good cleaning.

Catfish are scavengers and can very quickly over eat. This doesn't mean yours did but it is a huge possibility. Cut back on the feeding some if you can and see if that helps things.

Also, check the scales. Are the scales sticking out away from the body even a little? Is the area pinkish? Pale gills? clamped fins? If so it is likely Dropsy/bloat and I would remove (if you can) to a small treatment tank and go from there.

Either way test your water and give the tank a good cleaning.

Syno cats (feather fins) don't have scales.

Back
Top Bottom