Pregnant Guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haileyjade

Aquarium Advice Freak
I 'inherited' 3 guppies a while back. I rehomed the males about 2 weeks ago, but was unable to find a home for the female. It has been forever since I have kept guppies, so I'm a little out of practice.

Probably a stupid question, but should I be expecting fry soon? She doesn't have the dark gravid spot, but with her blonde color I am skeptical if this is accurate. She's getting rounder by the day, and I do not overfeed.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390791460.918063.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390791482.572737.jpg

Yes she is definitely pregnant! When she squares off is when you will need to watch her closely because that normally means the fry are coming within hours or at longest 3 days. She doesnt look far off from having them, I would give her another week at max.

Thanks...I kind of figured that was the case, considering she had been with the males. I will definitely keep an eye on her for squaring off. I'll have to look up some pics as a guide, the last time I had a pregnant guppy was probably 15 years ago!

I agree that she is pregnant, had one that looked like her a few weeks ago that surprised me by delivering - luckily I had her in my 'sick ward' because I thought she had dropsy or was pregnant, but wasn't sure!! Gave me 20+ babies but sadly passed away a few days after.

Aww, sorry to hear about your girl. I surely wasn't expecting to get guppies, let alone fry, so this will be an adventure.

Oh well. If I can't rehome them, that means I get another tank! ;)

It's a lot of fun watching them deliver and then watching them grow and get colours!! Make sure you have plenty of hiding places for the fry if you want survivors or they end up becoming a tasty post delivery snack!! I also tend to leave my girls separate from other fish for up to a week to recover before it all starts again.. :) best of luck and keep us updated!!

Still no fry yet...she's still huge but just as active as ever and eating fine. Hmm.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392127521.051503.jpg

She looks like she is just about to have them! When she gets a squarish shape to her stomach you will know! And believe in me when she squares off you can tell! Ill give her no more than a week and you should have fry!

Or she may not be pregnant and just well fed! Just keep a close eye on her

Back
Top Bottom