Pregnant guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

car_leen

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased this female fancy tail at Pet smart about 3 months ago. She was pregnant when I got her, had fry about 4 weeks ago. I know there's no really telling exactly when she'll give birth but I'm just wondering if she's gonna give birth anytime soon. I feel like she's been so big for so long. And I don't wanna put her in a breeding nest, so I wanna just try to catch the fry as they come out. Here's some pictures. She's the orange tail. (I had to stick a Window treat to get photos of her, so don't mind all the other fishies around her)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1393657808283.jpg
    1393657808283.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 86
For some reason it's only allowing me to upload one photo at a time.

Attachments

• 1393657952205.jpg
    1393657952205.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 80
Usually what I do is leave the female in the tank while giving birth and scoop out as much fry as I can when she drops. This way the female doesn't get to stressed and absorb the fry or miscarry. You can expect another batch of fry in about a month or two. Some females are strange like mine who drop from between one month to five months. Good luck.

Watch for any strange behavior like her hiding or laying at the bottom or resting at the top and only moving very little. One sure way to tell that she is about to drop is if she stops eating. After she drops her fry male sure to feed her and the fish so they don't go after the fry.

Thank you! Yeah, that's why I didn't want to move her, I don't want to stress her out. Hopefully she gives birth soon! None of the fry from her first batch survived :(

If I were you, I would put her in another tank/breeding tank. She looks pretty boxy, and I don't know if she dropped yet. If she hasn't, put her in the breeder.

Update! My hubby put her in the breeding tank last night. Good call cuz she started dropping her fry around 6 this evening. So far I have 26 healthy fry.

Attachments

• 1394089698555.jpg
    1394089698555.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 68

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom