Pregnant guppy???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buttercup21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I’m new here. Background info: My sister had a project in her science class and they used guppies for their environment project. After that, the school put the guppies up for adoption. My sister brought the guppy home ( we’ve had a lot of fish before but they were glofish and I was 7). We put her in a bowl at first and then transferred her to the 10 gallon tank once it was cycled with live plants (java moss and java fern) and drift wood. Before we took her home, she was in the same tank with a lot of male guppies. Now we believe that she is pregnant. She has a large black circle and looks chubby.

We are planning to add cherry shrimp in a month, but are wondering how far along she is in her pregnancy? She is in the tank alone for now( might get some more guppies) and also have a breeding box so she won’t eat the fry. Can you tell when she will give birth?

Attachments

• E6824346-ACC2-44C1-B657-FC6FBF02CB6A.jpeg
    E6824346-ACC2-44C1-B657-FC6FBF02CB6A.jpeg
    23 KB · Views: 84
  • E0848FBA-2B84-47A6-BEE5-D73BFC5E443B.jpg
    E0848FBA-2B84-47A6-BEE5-D73BFC5E443B.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 44
Hi, if she was kept with males the answer is more than likely yes. Livebearers give birth once a month, she can also store sperm for later pregnancies for a few months. If you want to keep or sell the babies I suggest letting them grow a bit before adding shrimp. Fry are a tasty snack for anything bigger than them.

Back
Top Bottom