pregnant mollie (what do i do)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tao 2008

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
alright everyone :D
:crazyeyes:ive got a problem , i have noticed my mollie geting bigger around the belly- done a little bit of research and am pritty positive shes pregnant , shes now acting iratically and then hiding in a cave the males are harrassing her and im a bit worried for her :cry: ....i am completely unprepared for anything like this i have not got a seperate tank or even a net im a complete novice !!!!!
could anyone help me out ???
, what should i buy ?
moz-screenshot.jpg

,how many fry will she have ?

, can they survive if i do nothing ?

here is a pic well im not sure how to upload 1 so hope this works?

any avice would be really helpfull thanx

Attachments

• pregnant mollie.jpg
    pregnant mollie.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 61
It really depends on the tank inhabitants if the fry will survive without any actions by you. I did absolutely nothing with my guppies... I started with 2 females 2 males, now I have 11 males, 7 females and probably another dozen of un-sexed fry. The first batch of fry, the females at them all, rather quickly too. After that they grew tired of chasing the fry around and just let them be. Occasionally they will confuse the fry with food and chase it until they get close and realize it is another fish. Its actually quite cool to see.

You can buy breeder boxes and things like that but they require some extra work... you have to clean the box out daily to make sure the waste doesn't build up on the bottom. They have net type breeder boxes or plastic ones that can suction cup to the sides of the tank.

If it were me I would probably just let nature take its course. I bet if things don't go the way you want (have survivors) this time, you will have better luck next time. Good luck and Congrats! :)

It really depends on the tank inhabitants if the fry will survive without any actions by you. I did absolutely nothing with my guppies... I started with 2 females 2 males, now I have 11 males, 7 females and probably another dozen of un-sexed fry. The first batch of fry, the females at them all, rather quickly too. After that they grew tired of chasing the fry around and just let them be. Occasionally they will confuse the fry with food and chase it until they get close and realize it is another fish. Its actually quite cool to see.

You can buy breeder boxes and things like that but they require some extra work... you have to clean the box out daily to make sure the waste doesn't build up on the bottom. They have net type breeder boxes or plastic ones that can suction cup to the sides of the tank.

If it were me I would probably just let nature take its course. I bet if things don't go the way you want (have survivors) this time, you will have better luck next time. Good luck and Congrats! :)
yup what he said

What should you do?

Find out of all your friends would like some free fish.
Mollies are baby machines once they get going.

Back
Top Bottom