Pregnant molly?!? Not dropping fry ;(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

autismmommy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know I have asked before a couple weeks ago but my 'pregnant' molly hasn't dropped any fry yet. She is now swimming to the bottom and hiding behind her favorite plant but comes to the front when she sees us at the tank.
I just want her to be okay. I am going to try and add a video but I had trouble uploading pictures the first time so I might not get it. So if I can't I will upload photos.
She will be my creamsicle molly!
Thank you so much for all of your help!:confused:

This is Lemon
(My video isn't working ;(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 104
Here is another photo of lemon.
I am trying my best but I guess the video is a no go!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
We were doing a water change and noticed a pile of dead babies on the bottom. They were no where near being developed.
She is now swimming with her tail in the air. She gets herself going still and eats but is floating.
Please someone tell me what to do?!?

Idk if this helps but I've read that they can abort their babies if they are too stressed or if water conditions aren't right.
They say aquarium salt is good for mollies, but i think it might be harmful for other fish who just like freshwater. I'm sure someone else with way more knowledge will chime in soon.

Are you testing your water parameters?

Sent from my N9510 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

don't know if this will help...

a little salt can be helpful in the water for *almost* any freshwater fish in times of stress, and birthing is stressful.
mollies don't actually require salt so much as they like hard water, that is mineral rich water, with a dh of anywhere from 8 - 15. IME & JMO... and lots of google research.
I keep my water around 78. As for salt, you can add aquarium salt but some fish don't aclimate to it well. If you only have livebearers in your tank, you can add 1 tbl per 5g. I have a 25g and add 3tbl of aquairum salt once a month. (disolve salt in a gallon of tank water before adding! and salt doesn't evaporate, so only add when doing a pwc)
sorry for the pile of offspring. she might be too immature for her body to carry full term, or it could be genetic. like everything else in the fish hobby, there are too many variables to consider.
and with livebearers... once a female is pregnant, she can give birth over and over for months afterwards. I only have one adult female in the tank with no males, and she's ready to drop her third brood in as many months.
Good luck with your girl!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom