Pregnant Swordtail!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newby Tropical Enthusiast

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys - I have a rather heavily pregnant swordtail, she has a large black spot ( Sorry I do not know the correct terminology ) How do I know when do put her in to her breeder net?:)

Actually breeder nets can sometimes cause more trouble then good! It is sometimes best just to let her drop the fry in your tank. When putting her in the breeder net this can stress her out and cause her to abort he pregnancy. It's up to you though. If you want to leave her in the tank just have lots of plants like java moss and the babies should be fine.

Well Planted

Your tank appears to be planted rather well, I would just let her drop the fry in the tank. The fry will hide in the plants and should be fine.

I have a 50g with 15 cardinals, 6 assorted platties, 6 assorted Swords, and a SAE and I have 3 fry in my tank. Unfortunately I had a leak and had to drain the tank and move the fish, which is how I discovered the fry even existed. Moral of the story; they hide really well! I suspect they will do fine, but dont get to attached to the fry just in case :)

When I was breeding Angels I moved the matted pair into a 20g bare bottom tank. They would lay the eggs and once they began to wiggle I removed the parents back into my main tank. However platties are live bearers, and the parents will, sometimes, eat the fry. So where ever you put them make sure there are LOTS of plants for the fry to hide in.

From my picture how long away from having them do you think she is? I have a 20litre tank just need to get a filter amd cycle it in my main aquarium so i will be too slow for this baatch of fry but i have another pregnant swordtail too :) i think i have java moss in my tank so i will put some of that in the small tank

You can easily see wich ones are pregnant and you'll always lose the fry cuz they give birth without you knowing I prefer to breed myself

You can easily see wich ones are pregnant and you'll always lose the fry cuz they give birth without you knowing I prefer to breed myself

I respectfully disagree with this. As long as you have adequate hiding places most of the fry will survive.

Unfortunately some live bearers can hold sperm inside of them and not show signs of pregnancy until they see fit.

Back
Top Bottom