prego balloon molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pixelcatt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone know if its normal days before giving birth for her scales to start to stick out?

These pics are almost a week old and shes even bigger and each night i can watch her 'tube' flex open and closed then almost disappear.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120508_231508.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120508_231508.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 217
  • ForumRunner_20120508_231520.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120508_231520.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 273
  • ForumRunner_20120508_231531.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120508_231531.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 163
pixelcatt said:
Does anyone know if its normal days before giving birth for her scales to start to stick out?

These pics are almost a week old and shes even bigger and each night i can watch her 'tube' flex open and closed then almost disappear.

I'd get her in a net or something because that balloon is gonna pop! My gosh, she is HUGE! I'm sure it's fine in this case, she's just so big and that's why they stick out

Lmao thats what i think too. I didnt know whether thats normal or not. I was starting to wonder if something else was wrong with her but once i started seeing that tube flex like its prepping and trying to stretch open to drop the fry i figured shes just carrying a lot of fry.

Did your Molly give birth yet? From the size of her cant imagine how many fry there could be!

No. She died lastnight trying to pass her fry. :( over the course of several days i think she tried and for whatever reason didnt or couldnt. Id watch her shimmy at the surface and her birthing tube flex open and shut but no babies. Lastnight i thought she might be stressed by the other fish so when she sat in one corner facing the breeding box (which shed been in before) i went ahead and put her in it. Id have rather she aborted the pregnancy than die.

I know sometimes livebearers can die trying to give birth. She mustve been having issues cause she was quite pregnant for the better part of two months.

I'm disappointed cause i believe theyd have been gorgeous babies. The papa is a silver and black with the largest sail fin ive seen so far. He has beautiful lines of irridescent orange and blue in his fins.

On the bright side, i think my gold balloon molly is about two weeks pregnant and my red tiger platy has finally decided to carry a pregnancy. I had several females pregnant at such a small size and died. This one was smart and aborted or reabsorbed any pregnancies till she was a better size. Shes still only half grown. Bout the size of a guppy. Because theyre very see through you can see a orange blob with black dots. Hopefully she will carry to term and give birth to cite little see through babies.

Oh man, really sorry to hear that. I know its disappointing. I lost a really pregnant mother and all the fry within a week of her giving birth about 2 months ago. Silver lining is that with live bearers it won't be too until you have another chance. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom