Prego mollie also gravel or sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristin90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Actually to b completely honest this was a mistake... But it happened and now I'm interested. Lol. So I have a black Mollie (f) and a dalmation Mollie(m), I know she is prego because she is absolutely huge but the male is still goin at it. Can anyone give me some pointers. I even went and bought another girl so he would leave her alone but he had nothing to do with her, so I but him in a fry net till I figure somethin out. Thanks for any help...
Also I would like to know about using sand instead of gravel. If Antibes has any advice. Thanks

Is it possible to take him out the tank for an hour and rearrange some things? This sort of puts him down the pecking order for a bit. You could put the female in a Fry cage so when she drops the fry they will be safe and she will be away from the male a bit?

I converted from gravel to sand mainly for my Corys, they love it and its so much easier to clean as the poo etc sits on top of the sand. Buy black sand if your worried about the tank looking too dirty

Ok. Thanks. I put her in the fry net but I think I'm just gonna move her to another tank until she has her babies

Make sure to not leave her in the breeding nert for very long. If she does not have her fry after a day or so in there, take her out. The confined space is stressful for them and she also needs to swim around to start labor. I put my girls into breeding nets at first, but I have had a few of them die in there, so now I just try to net the fry out of the tank as fast as possible. Good idea to take her out of the tank, but still watch since the mother can easily devour the majority of her own fry. Make sure there are lots of plants in the new tank so the fry can hide. :)
Sometimes, males can be like that. Give him time and he will probably start to chase the other female as well. Mine tend to ignore the new females sometimes. Eventaully, they get with the program. ;)

Back
Top Bottom